diy solar

diy solar

Adding additional (non-Enphase) batteries to Enphase IQ8 with Controller 2

Tayne

Background and current system.
I have 25 panels with IQ8 inverters 10KWh
IQ Combiner 4c
IQ system controller 2
2-3T Enphase batteries (just installed, I got certified and installed them)
All my solar wiring is on the north side of my home.
L1 & L2 from the battery terminals on my controller go thru my basement into the garage where I have my 2 batteries.
I have a whole home backup. Grid power runs through my Controller 200A to my home fuse box in my basement.
Combiner, controller and meter are all on the northside of my home.
Here is a basic diagram.IQ8 Controller 2.jpg The 2 batteries I have aren't enough. I want use all my solar and not feed the grid. They buy my power for $0.50 on the dollar then turn around and charge me full retail on what I just sent them. A loose-loose scenario. I also want to do this as inexpensive as possible. I just found out I will have lots of medical bills coming soon. So any help would be appreciated. I am a DYI guy. I hate paying other for things I can do or figure out. I did get certified to install and commission my batteries (from Enphase). However I am not an electrician. My biggest problem is I don't know, what I don't know lol.

Here are my thoughts and some options I am considering.
1) Hybrid Inverter. I have been looking and found several Split Phase inverters online. PowMr looks like a good inexpensive option. https://powmr.com/products/hybird-i...0vac-split-phase-supports-6-units-in-parallel At $1,569 not too expensive.
2) Batteries. PowMr also has a decently priced battery. https://powmr.com/products/lifepo4-lithium-battery-200ah-48v-max-discharge-current-100a $0.236 per Kwh isnt too bad.
And these are even a better price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/404738642441
at $0.175 per Kwh. However they are 51V (no clue if that is an issue).

Now my questions.
How do I wire them? I want to keep my Enphase system working as is. I would prefer to install them in my garage next to my Enphase batteries. I have L1/L2 and ground connected to the batteries (6 or 8 gauge need to check). The batteries are connected to the controller with a 40a breaker. I have CT's on all my power and use. I also have one on the battery flow. These are in my Controller box and connected in my Combiner 4.
Can I put the Hybrid inverter on the battery L1/L2 wires and then connect the D/C batteries to the new inverter. Would the battery CT and System controller accept the additional power? Or would it cause issues having more power then my reported batteries?
If that's not an option what other options would work?

How much energy (kWH) are you actually selling/exporting to the grid per month? 50 cent on the dollar is actually pretty good.

PowMr won't likely work or be legal to connect to your Enphase grid-tied system in the US. You'll need UL compliant hybrid inverters like SMA Sunny Island, Schneider XW Pro, Sol-Ark 12K, etc. and batteries. Search on the forum for posts about them working with Enphase for more info.

I just added some panels and a couple of batteries. So I don’t have good numbers. But for June (month to date). I have consumed 1.1MWh. Produced 1.2 MWh, imported 540kWh, exported 598kWh, charged 108.9 kWH, discharged 90 kWh. My Batteries have been commissioned the last 12/11 days and are set at self consumption.

I did read somewhere on the form how someone used a pc board device to add an inverter. I would be interested in something like that if it works and an option.

diy solar

diy solar
Back