diy solar

diy solar

Adding New Panels To Existing System

Hillbilly1878

Hi,
I have a existing system that I installed two years ago. I have 5 groups of 5 panels each that each panel is 40V VOC. This creates a 200V input per group which keeps me under the 250V MAX on my Growatt 12KW Inverter. I have room in my cabling system to add one more group. Signature Solar sells panels in groups of 10, but the mount system they sell is only for 4 panels not 5. My question is am I safe to buy panels that produce 49.XX VOC and only use 4 panels to balance the last group I am adding. Seems logical to me, but I have been known not to see the forest for the trees. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
-Tom

Hi,
I have a existing system that I installed two years ago. I have 5 groups of 5 panels each that each panel is 40V VOC. This creates a 200V input per group which keeps me under the 250V MAX on my Growatt 12KW Inverter. I have room in my cabling system to add one more group. Signature Solar sells panels in groups of 10, but the mount system they sell is only for 4 panels not 5. My question is am I safe to buy panels that produce 49.XX VOC and only use 4 panels to balance the last group I am adding. Seems logical to me, but I have been known not to see the forest for the trees. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
-Tom
I would call that close enough.
I'm assuming that a "group" is a series strings.
And then each string is in parallel with the others.

Back