diy solar

diy solar

Advice on two systems to be tied together

GuyG

Solar Enthusiast
So, I’m tryna plan out systems for two different structures, which ultimately I’d like to tie together. Each structure presently has a separate service entrance and utility account; they are about 165 feet apart and not tied together in any way. (Btw this is rural, with no building codes).

Each solar system would have its own inverter(s), batteries and PV. But for several reasons, I’d like them to share Solar and battery resources with each other, and do away with one of the utility services. One reason is that the buildings are occupied and used differently; sometimes one of them uses a lot of power over a few days, then is dormant for a week or two. So taking care of those variable demands can be evened out if both systems can be tied together and shared. Another reason is that we’d like to get rid of one of those utility accounts (they now tack on a $30/month “service fee” per account), but we don’t want to go fully off grid.

So please comment if you see any problems with this plan: The structure where utility service will remain would have a larger system: more batteries, more PV, and two inverters in parallel. That system would tie to the grid (but not export; the utility grid would be only for augmenting to handle peak loads in excess of solar system capacity or when the sun doesn’t shine for several days).

The parallel inverters each have 200-amp pass-through, and would feed the main panel for that structure. Off that main panel, we would run an underground feeder cable to the second structure, where it would run into the grid lugs of the inverter there. That inverter would feed the main panel of the second structure.

In essence, the two parallel inverters would form a sort of mini-grid feeding the solo inverter and providing their excess capacity when needed, and the solo inverter could become AC-coupled power to the two-inverter structure when needed.

I clearly would need to set the frequency-shift of the parallel grid-connected inverters so that they wouldn’t export to the utility grid, but haven’t completely thought through how to manage the solo inverter so that it doesn’t “export” all of its power to the upstream inverters unless necessary.

Anyway, I can’t find anything wrong with this plan. Which of course means I’ve overlooked something. Any thoughts?

One thing I’m really not sure about is grounding. Can I get by with triplex URD cable between the structures, and rely on ground rods for grounding at the downstream structure? Or is it better to run four-plex with a continuous ground between the buildings? Probably will bury 3 feet deep anyway, but I’m thinking it would be safer to have a ground in the trench.

Also, I suppose I’ll need to un-bond the ground and neutral at the downstream structure, since it no longer would be the “main” panel of the system. Is this correct?

Thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

Anyway, I can’t find anything wrong with this plan. Which of course means I’ve overlooked something. Any thoughts?

How knowledgeable are you on electrical work and theory? I have some electrical background and I would not attempt a combination grid tie, Zero export, two separate solar fed home setups that are tied together with only one being grid connected but the other one still utilizing grid when needed. Sounds like a planning and implementation nightmare.

What you want is entirely doable.
As long as you choose the right equipment.
Hybrid AIO's capable of implementing and responding to frequency shift.

So, I’m tryna plan out systems for two different structures, which ultimately I’d like to tie together.
Does you electrical provider offer Aggregate Net Metering? I don't know the economics of your situation but there may be a trade off between the cost of feeding a remote panel versus the meter cost of two meters. I understand the meter cost is $30 per month.

Last edited:
As far as hving two batteries that may not be as efficient because of the large variation of energy consumed at each location. You would have to size each battery for the maximum load instead of sharing a battery that could be smaller than the sum of the two. Also hybrid inverter costs add to the equation. Having two sub panels feed from the hybrid inverter might be more efficient use of resources. You could still have a less expensive inverter or micros at the other location to take advantage of the roof space for panels.

I have a barn 175 feet away from my system. It is currently fed by one 120 V circuit and I am going to upgrade that to 240 volt split phase so I can put some micros on the roof. The AC they will produce will travel that distance without too much voltage difference if I size the wire correctly. That AC produced will be fed into a sub panel fed by my SolArk so it will be available for charging and offsetting loads. I ocassionally run power tools at that location and those loads will be easily handled by a 240 sub panel.

Last edited:
Sounds like a planning and implementation nightmare.
Well, I’m not worried about paralleling two inverters with a one-way zero-export tie to the grid; people do that every day. And I’m not really worried about the downstream solo inverter getting its “grid” power from those paralleled inverters instead of from the utility grid. The only real unknown is how to set that solo inverter up for “grid export” when the grid it’s going to is actually a mini-grid governed by the other inverters. So, can anyone help me spot a specific problem with that? (Yes, I know I’ll need to tinker with frequency shifting there.)

As for planning and implementing, my plan is to start with just two inverters, one as the upstream mini-grid forming one, and the other downstream, to see how well it works. Probably will install a transfer switch there first so that downstream grid connection is left in tact until everything works. And once the bugs are worked out, get the other inverter and parallel it upstream, fill out the PV and batteries, etc.

I just don’t see how it couldn’t be made to work. Anything specific?

What you want is entirely doable.
As long as you choose the right equipment.
Hybrid AIO's capable of implementing and responding to frequency shift.
Thanks. I think you’re right about frequency shifting being the key.

Aggregate Net Metering?
The problem is that we pay 13.5 cents per kWh and the utility only pays us 4.2 cents. No true net metering here; the offset is only real-time use/export on bidirectional meter. With demand that really starts cranking up just as the sun is fading, you need to have your power available in batteries, and aggregate net metering doesn’t really help that.

Sounds like the farther away building will need to manage two overlapping control goals.

Zero export to grid and minimize export out of that building.

I don’t think you can have two external CTs on a typical AIO. Not sure how an AIO would blend internal and external CT. That is a potential direction to go.

It sounds like you are vaguely thinking the AIO in the farther building can combine CT based export control with a CT placed at the feeder and frequency shift following. I’m dubious that is implemented natively in an AIO.

I would guess you want to plan ahead to have sufficient RS485 runs to power meters in each location in case those prove necessary. The distances involved are too long for analog CT wires, it needs to be digitized into one of the serial protocols. And then the AIO needs to support this type of CT.

I just don’t see how it couldn’t be made to work. Anything specific?
You are trying to parallel inverters at a long distance and hope everything stays in sync. I doubt you will find any manufacturer of an hybrid inverter that will endorse the proposed setup.

Don't let me stop you I am just giving you my opinion.

I guess logically speaking your setup can be made equivalent to grid. So the farther away hybrid would not try to solve both those control problems. You would pick one of the already implemented export to CT control behaviors on an hybrid, and hope that hybrid implements frequency shift response in a way that it can always produce for your local loads in that building.

I don’t know if it is required to not piss off users. A grid tie hybrid with inverter output forced to zero by frequency shift would still deliver power to appliances, it’s just 100% from grid. If this is the fallback behavior you won’t get exactly what you want.

You are trying to parallel inverters at a long distance and hope everything stays in sync
Is OP looking to parallel or follow via AC coupling?

Hybrids can all follow the grid with just locking onto the grid provided AC. There’s no paralleling control connection to the grid.

Yes Using a paralleling control connection across 200 feet sounds like a shitshow recipe.

You could still have a less expensive inverter or micros at the other location to take advantage of the roof space for panels.
That’s basically what I’m doing. But that structure is occupied full time, and I prefer that most of its power consumption be from panels and batteries right there, instead of making a round trip.

I prefer that most of its power consumption be from panels and batteries right there, instead of making a round trip.

Do you have a functional requirement or performance requirement driving this preference or is it just from an appeal to elegance and desire to learn etc?

The performance requirement can be brute forced with a bigger gauge quadplex feeder. Which may be more cost effective and robust than trying to solve the problem with engineering a more complex solution.

It might require a larger wire, but the thought crossed my mind to wonder about separate AC systems with a DC couple. Probably require larger wire between, so it may not be sensible, but if either system were capable of running the local load, it might be possible to keep the batteries close to the same charge level with a link between.

Something like:

Bldg A has SCC, inverter, battery, as does Bldg B, with the two batteries tied. Probably a bad idea with lead acid, but might be fine for LFP. If the draw runs heavy from one battery, the other can help feed the base load, with the local, more drained battery supplying the peak currents needed.

OTOH, there may be something I'm overlooking beyond the practical aspects as to why this is a bad idea.

own inverter(s), batteries and PV.
I agree with the previous post that separate batteries incur a cost that isn’t yet analyzed. Usually separate resource pools incur extra engineering work to manage vs a global pool.

It is more likely to work or easier to configure batteries in a single place to help provide high surge capacity and be dispatchable to both buildings. Than for two separate battery systems to be able to dispatch all of their storage capacity to loads in two places instead of stranding some of it.

The performance requirement can be brute forced with a bigger gauge quadplex feeder. Which may be more cost effective and robust than trying to solve the problem with engineering a more complex solution.
That’s worth thinking about. Thanks.

If you're handy with programming, you may be able to set up an RPi or something to be a watchdog to adjust the downstream inverter settings and brute force.

Hmmm…, let's see. Bldg A, keeping grid for backup: Inverter set to zero export, with some kind of frequency watts setup. Bldg B, inverter set to grid zero should have it prefer to use local batteries and charge said local batteries first. You might still need something like the RPi to be able to automatically change Bldg B's inverter to another export mode if Bldg A's batteries run low when B's batteries still have plenty of juice.

Zany, I'm not sure the separate batteries, in and of themselves, incur much, if any direct cost, as I'd figure the system is big enough that the wiring and mounting for the batteries is basically already needed for total size, so two locations is trivial. Managing the two batteries as desired, however, may be much more complex.

Back