diy solar

diy solar

advise wanted on my first off grid solar build

YelowstoneRocks

I'm looking for comments on my first non-trivial solar build. This will be off grid 3,200sqft house. Heater, water heater, clothes dryer will be propane. Oddly kitchen will be all electric. No AC or very little with mini split. Most people in this area don't use AC at all. There will be no duct work as heat will be radiant floor (no fans just a small pump for heat) backed up with wood stove.

This is the build I'm looking at not including wires or racks.

EG4-LL Lithium Batteries Kit (V2) | 30.72kWh | 6 Server Rack Batteries With Rack
EG4 18KPV Hybrid Inverter
35 Canadian Solar 535W Pallet BiHiKu6 Bi-facial
Generac 22kw

A few unique considerations.

115mph winds
6-7ft snow
Can get to -40c or below
4 hours of full sun in mid-Dec
Heat is rarely and issue but historically there have been heat waves to 100+

I want to max out input watts but not blow up my inverter..These panels base rating is 530watts*35 panels = 18,725watts. But they are bi-facial so they theoretically could spike under perfect conditions to 21,700 watts. Will the inverter gracefully clip this or will I start frying things?

Things I would like to do triple the batteries but I don't have the $$ on day one.

I haven't found any panels that are rated below -40c.

Comments, questions, or snide remarks are welcome!

Watts are not a problem with most scc units many allow up to 50% over paneling the most critical is max voltage this is a hard limit excess wattage will just be clipped

you need to do a power survey to see what your needs truly are

you may not need such a large generator take a look at the eg4 chargers

Plan panels for winter production. Face panels in different directions to even out production during the day. Consider a hot water tank to dump excess electricity during the summer.

Downsize the generator. It can run for hours to recharge battery. Probably the smallest you can find. 3kW is 0.1c, which is better for the batteries. A few more kW for some load. Also want to run generator at 50 to 80% of rating.

A few other ideas I got from another poster in Finland.

Use Bifacial panels and have a high tilt on them for winter (his was vertical). The little bit of sun will reflect on all the snow so Bifacial’s really work well.

The panels I believe will work fine in really cold temps (actually better than in hot temps). I think they just don’t test colder than they are rated (because who wants to be that cold???), however, I would call the manufacturer and ask them if there are any issues as you approach those temps.

Also if you have more panels than you want to put on your all in one, just add another Solar Charge Controller and have it just charge the batteries. For example add a Victron MPPT 250/100 for certain arrays (or whatever your favorite brand is). That way you can plan it so you don’t have any clipping.

Summers you will have all the power you want - winters - you will be running the generator- and you may want a small portable secondary one in a warm garage in case of problems with the primary generator in December. Four hours of sun is not a lot…

Back