diy solar

diy solar

AGM to Lithium

Joe temagami11

Putting together my first system at the cabin - the setup I’m looking at has 4 6v430ah Surrette AGM’s

if I was going to go with Lithium instead - what battery setup would be equivalent in size to the 4 Surrettes?

trying to keep it simple - only over the counter stuff lifepaks etc.

cheers !

Some general math. 6x430x4=10,320 total watt hours. Assume 50% of that is usable since these are AGM, so about 5160 watt hours.

If you went the 3.2 volt, 280 Ah route, you could purchase 8 of them and make two 12 volt batteries or one 24 volt battery with 7,168 watt hours (3.2x280x8). Cycle the LiFePO4 battery from 90% down to 10% and that seems about right (5735 watt hours)

I paid $1882 for 16 of these batteries with sea shipping, then FedEx to my door in the USA. So about $1000 in total for 8 sounds about right, but you would need to check on current prices and shipping quotes depending on where you live.

Someone else can chime in if my math is off...

Last edited:
Thanks for that - appreciated.
What about the 12v _ah style ?

I would like to keep this as simple as possible with same amount of power but only 1-4 total batteries.
Thanks again.

Costco has Lion energy two pack 105AH batteries on sale till July 7 for 1399.00 , if you buy 2 -2 packs that's 420 AH useable power for 2798.00.
3500 cycle lifetime warranty backed by Costco's satisfaction guarantee (if you're EVER not satisfied with a item bought from Costco just return it for a full refund)
lead acid you only get 800 cycles or less , limited 1 or 2 year warranty and you can only draw them down half of the total AH capacity, can't charge them nearly as fast (the last 15% takes forever) plus they sulfate quickly if left partially charged, lithium doesn't care if left partially charged for a couple of days because it's cloudy.
Food for thought

Putting together my first system at the cabin - the setup I’m looking at has 4 6v430ah Surrette AGM’s

trying to keep it simple - only over the counter stuff lifepaks etc
How much do those 4 AGMs cost?
I presume you are going 12 volts

Thanks for that - appreciated.
What about the 12v _ah style ?

I would like to keep this as simple as possible with same amount of power but only 1-4 total batteries.
Thanks again.
If you hate money, you could buy 5 of the 12 volt, 100 Ah BattleBorn batteries. That would be 6000 watt hours total and cost about $6000. Or as 6269ed stated, Costco has that current deal on LiFePO4's. As you can see, building your own saves a lot of money. My though process is always, why pay someone else (or a company) for something I can do myself? But everyone is different and has different needs and budgets. Hope that helps.

Would 4 lifepower 12v 100ah work?

I can get those for 3200$. The 4 AGMS are going to cost 2600$
?

diy solar

diy solar
Back