diy solar

diy solar

Looking for ideas for a small “place” to instal components.

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
i searched for solar shed, solar doghouse, solar battery box and all that came up was solar powered sheds, dog houses, and portable solar boxes, I.e jackery, etc.

initialy the plan was to instal the stuff in an existing shed 50,feet from the array, and then 120v into the cabin. Now I’m exploring putting all the stuff right at the array, and run a single uf-b 12/2 right into my cabin.

it’s not only a lot less work, but it should cost less (or hopefully not more) than the original plan.

so I’d like to build, or buy something small to store an inverter charger, charge controller, sok rack battery, ac panel box, and possibly a generator.

what is it I’m looking for? A solar outbuilding? I’m considering one of those composite horizontal sheds. Preferably something I can easily take with me in the future. (Ongoing family cabin issues that are not likely to resolve).

im mounting my panels in those plastic groundmount ballast thingies. So I need some type of “box” to hold the other stuff.

just wanted some ideas as to what some of you had done, thought of, regretted, etc.

Pics? Link?
I don’t have any. Next time I’m down there I’ll take some. He does quality work. I could PM his phone number if you’d like to talk with him directly, he may have pictures, etc. to share with you.

What I think you're looking for is a garden shed or garden shed kit. I picked one up that was 3ft x 5ft and 6ft tall for my generator and shovel storage. That would be plenty of space for batteries and an AIO.

As for the wirw, 12/2 is only good for 20a and you're going to have to calculate for voltage drop over the run, which is only about 2400w max. You're going to need thicker wire.

I don’t have any. Next time I’m down there I’ll take some. He does quality work. I could PM his phone number if you’d like to talk with him directly, he may have pictures, etc. to share with you.
If ya think of it, next time your out pics would be great. Just looking for ideas

What I think you're looking for is a garden shed or garden shed kit. I picked one up that was 3ft x 5ft and 6ft tall for my generator and shovel storage. That would be plenty of space for batteries and an AIO.

As for the wirw, 12/2 is only good for 20a and you're going to have to calculate for voltage drop over the run, which is only about 2400w max. You're going to need thicker wire.

How weathertight is this shed? I don’t have an AIO, I went component. The price would make it cheaper than wire/conduit, junction boxes, etc.

12/2 is plenty. The cabin is literally one circuit, and it’s all 14/2 in the walls. We currently have it all wired to,an extention cord that we plug into the inverter. I suppose I could go up to 10/2.

Some caulk, door strip, and grow foam would make it plenty weather tight. A regular 2ft × 4ft work bench fits right in and gives you stacking space and mount places for the guts too.

10/2 would be a good idea.

I would like to see what else people use.

I have a barbecue island I am thinking of using to store an outdoor inverter and battery. I would need some additional weatherproofing inside the island to keep the battery and inverter from the rare dessert rainstorms.

Our cabin is remote, and no grid. The only cottager that has a “seperate” area for his stuff literally built a box, covers it with a piece of plywood > piece of metal roof > Bricks to hold it in place.

it works, doesn’t leak but I just don’t know if I can trust something so simple to,house 5k worth of stuff.

This would be perfect for me (enclosure not the stuff in it)

someone has to make that box for renogy

Back