diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a small MPPT SCC

Steve777

I have a solar well pump (DC) setup, been using it for 6+ years now. It has its own pump controller with a built in charge controller (PWM). It generally works well, but my 2 PV panels can't quite keep up with water needs in the summer. Temporarily I augmented the PVs with a 24v battery charger for a couple months last summer and it worked fine; so the water is there if I can get the extra power. The solution I am thinking of is to add a third PV panel (have a matching spare) to add some capacity for the summer months. Here are the details:

The PV panels are Canadian Solar 180W, Voc 44.5V Imax 5.4A. System is a nominal 24v; batteries are 24v AGM. Currently the two PV panels are wired in parallel. The pump controller could in theory take a third panel in parallel, but it would be right at the edge of its Imax limit (and maybe a hair over in ideal sun conditions). My thoughts were to bypass this PWM SCC in the pump controller and put in a separate MPPT controller to handle the charging of the batteries. With the right SCC this should allow me to put the panels in series to capture more low light power, and in general should be more efficient than the PWM controller which is in use now.

So to do this, I think I need a MPPT controller which can handle the three panels' Voc in series plus low temp headroom (~200v). Input current can be fairly low, likely under 6A, so maybe get 12 or 15A one just in case another panel is needed as 2s2p. And this controller will be mounted outside by the well head, so a weather-proof design would be needed. My search for such a controller has turned up nada; so I was hoping folks here might know of something which meets these requirements and is of decent quality. Any suggestions?

It would seem that putting 3 PV in series is going to get the max Voc up pretty high, especially for a small controller, and that might be making finding a SCC with these specs next to impossible. With an odd number of panels the only other option would be 3 in parallel. Which should work to 24v but will give up some low light power and efficiency. So I suppose that is my option B, an MPPT SCC with a 70-80v max input that can handle ~25A. (Or I suppose I could try just the current 2 panels in series to an MPPT controller and see if that improves power capture enough to handle the summer loads, (MPPT with 120v and 6A or 12A if expansion is called for).

Sort of thinking out loud here, but these are the ideas/choices I have been kicking around for this. Any ideas on a SCC, or other configurations which might have more HW available?

Mebbe try reducing the panel angle in summer - summer optimum is latitude minus 15 deg.
I don't know where you are but for me that would be 45 - 15 = 30 deg.

Those are "24V" panels. There's no reason to series them. The benefits of series vs. parallel are dramatically overstated. You might see a 1-2% gain only in the early/late hours of the day. Going from 100 or 150V MPPT to 200V MPPT includes a hefty price premium.

Going from PWM to MPPT will see an immediate improvement of as much as 20% of peak power simply by allowing the panels to operate at Vmp rather than force them to battery voltage.

Also worth noting that higher Series voltage incurs a small efficiency penalty. This is usually offset by reduced wiring losses.

Remember, MPPT are rated in OUTPUT, not input:

180W * 3 = 540W

540W / 24V = 22.5A

Your old system was performing like a 288W array due to PWM.

3P on a 100V/30A MPPT will see a dramatic improvement over your current setup allowing you to utilize the entire 540W potential in all conditions.

That's 540/288 = 188% more power potential than you had before.

3S on a 200V/30A MPPT will see a negligible benefit over 3P.

@45North I am at 40deg N lat, panels are at 33deg which was the max overall power angle for my location. So not the ideal summer angle but fairly close, maybe 8 deg off. Have to play with the spare panel some to see just how much power is lost from 8deg too high a tilt in the summer, but I suspect not that much. The panels are on a steel tubing ground mount and it's not that easy to adjust their tilt. So if I can get the extra power another way I'll probably try that first...

@sunshine_eggo Opps, thanks, of course output ratings on amps. I had been under the assumption that series wiring got you a lot more power in the morning/evenings. At least that's what several installers were telling me some years ago; they were pretty adamant about it and I just took their word for it. Interesting if that's not the case. BTW, wire size/length is not a consideration here, everything is within a few feet of each other.

But following your thoughts, even the current two panels, in parallel, to an MPPT controller would give close to the panels' 180W each or 360W total. And 360W/288W or 148% or almost a 50% increase in power potential. That may well be enough of an increase to get through the heavier water needs of the summer (after all it would be close to adding a third panel to the PWM controller would have been ). And if not, adding that 3rd PV panel in parallel should do it.

So maybe what I should be looking for is a 80-100v MPPT which can do 30A output in a weather proof case. Should make for more possibilities.

I had been under the assumption that series wiring got you a lot more power in the morning/evenings.
The concept involves SCCs needing battery voltage +5V to start charging. If your panel voltage was close to battery voltage then you'd need the sun to rise quite a bit to reach battv+5.
Since your panels are well over battery voltage that is not much of an issue as they will produce voltage in the 30V+ range as they start receiving light.

@sunshine_eggo Opps, thanks, of course output ratings on amps. I had been under the assumption that series wiring got you a lot more power in the morning/evenings. At least that's what several installers were telling me some years ago; they were pretty adamant about it and I just took their word for it. Interesting if that's not the case. BTW, wire size/length is not a consideration here, everything is within a few feet of each other.

It's true, but very overstated.

Thing is you only have 10% available power in those low light conditions. If you get 10% more power of 10% of the available power due to high series voltage, that's about 11% or a 1% overall improvement.

But following your thoughts, even the current two panels, in parallel, to an MPPT controller would give close to the panels' 180W each or 360W total. And 360W/288W or 148% or almost a 50% increase in power potential. That may well be enough of an increase to get through the heavier water needs of the summer (after all it would be close to adding a third panel to the PWM controller would have been ). And if not, adding that 3rd PV panel in parallel should do it.

Those are idealized numbers. As cell temperatures increase due to heating, the gap narrows. However, using your panels as an example:

Vmp is probably about 38V.

If you force a 38V panel to operate at peak battery votlage, let's say 28.8V, that's 28.8/38 = 76% of the Vmp value, thus output is reduced by 24%. It's worse at lower voltages.

As cell temperatures increase, Vmp decreases, so hot panels on a PWM don't pay as big a penalty, and hot panels on a MPPT don't perform as rated due to heat - still quite advantageous.

The 3rd panel is what makes this a home run with bases loaded.

So maybe what I should be looking for is a 80-100v MPPT which can do 30A output in a weather proof case. Should make for more possibilities.

Not familiar with any that are weather proof. The few I find are PWM and 20A or less. A non-weather proof model in a weatherproof box might be more practical.

@sunshine_eggo you may be right, not many SCCs in a water proof case that are MPPT. Only one which turned up so far is an EPever Tracer 7810BP. Will need to do some more looking...

I have 2ea 250w panels for portable ground mount for RV. I place them facing slightly different. One catches morning/noon sun and the other noon/evening sun. Works good for partly cloudy day. Full output is rare, so less wire loss, and no over paneling of SCC.
Long ago I had tried a Genasun GV10. I had LA and was upset it the temperature compensation was set at 1st light only.
Also tried a Greesonic, however the MPPT voltage did not change with temperature. Float was.

Last edited:
I have a solar well pump (DC) setup, been using it for 6+ years now. It has its own pump controller with a built in charge controller (PWM). It generally works well, but my 2 PV panels can't quite keep up with water needs in the summer. Temporarily I augmented the PVs with a 24v battery charger for a couple months last summer and it worked fine; so the water is there if I can get the extra power. The solution I am thinking of is to add a third PV panel (have a matching spare) to add some capacity for the summer months. Here are the details:

The PV panels are Canadian Solar 180W, Voc 44.5V Imax 5.4A. System is a nominal 24v; batteries are 24v AGM. Currently the two PV panels are wired in parallel. The pump controller could in theory take a third panel in parallel, but it would be right at the edge of its Imax limit (and maybe a hair over in ideal sun conditions). My thoughts were to bypass this PWM SCC in the pump controller and put in a separate MPPT controller to handle the charging of the batteries. With the right SCC this should allow me to put the panels in series to capture more low light power, and in general should be more efficient than the PWM controller which is in use now.

So to do this, I think I need a MPPT controller which can handle the three panels' Voc in series plus low temp headroom (~200v). Input current can be fairly low, likely under 6A, so maybe get 12 or 15A one just in case another panel is needed as 2s2p. And this controller will be mounted outside by the well head, so a weather-proof design would be needed. My search for such a controller has turned up nada; so I was hoping folks here might know of something which meets these requirements and is of decent quality. Any suggestions?

It would seem that putting 3 PV in series is going to get the max Voc up pretty high, especially for a small controller, and that might be making finding a SCC with these specs next to impossible. With an odd number of panels the only other option would be 3 in parallel. Which should work to 24v but will give up some low light power and efficiency. So I suppose that is my option B, an MPPT SCC with a 70-80v max input that can handle ~25A. (Or I suppose I could try just the current 2 panels in series to an MPPT controller and see if that improves power capture enough to handle the summer loads, (MPPT with 120v and 6A or 12A if expansion is called for).

Sort of thinking out loud here, but these are the ideas/choices I have been kicking around for this. Any ideas on a SCC, or other configurations which might have more HW available?

Here is a website that will help with proper angle for best performance There are other sites as well that will help you by your location

I have Square Steel Tubing Frame which holds my
Double Aluminum Frames Inner and Outer. The inner frame holds the solar panels 4 X 12V 100W Renogy Solar panels
Which has 4 Aluminum Heavy Duty Hinges welded to The outer Aluminum Frame so it swings up and out with 4 x DC12V Linear Actuator rated at 60 lb each
I have 2 self locking gate latches with a stainless steel cable that I pull to unlatch before lifting the panels to 35 degrees

I park so the side of my camper is facing East -
I raise the outer Aluminum Frame with 2 X 150 LB DC12V Linear Actuators 34 degrees as the sun moves to NOON
I lower the main outer frame lock it
Then raise the inner frame to capture the best Noon to 4pm sunlight with 4 x 60lb 12V Linear Actuators
Then lower it locking it down self locking gate latches
Then raise the Steel tubing 30 degrees to maximize 4pm to sunset with 2 x 150lb Linear Actuators
I can release the self locking latches from both inside and outside
I had this setup on my Van and upgraded to a Truck camper mounted to a utility trailer
All the 10ga wires are wrapped and zip tied with a Spring attached which keeps the wires from bouncing around
and getting caught in the frame when raising and lowering them

Not weather proof, but as sunshine_eggo said, just put into a waterproof box. This is my current favorite 100v 30A MPPT:

Victron Smartsolar 100/30 $128 free shipping.
Victron units are rated in open air for convection cooling, I’d be curious at how they’d handle being in a smallish water tight box.

I would def source a larger volume box to help it handle any heat generated.

@sunshine_eggo you may be right, not many SCCs in a water proof case that are MPPT. Only one which turned up so far is an EPever Tracer 7810BP. Will need to do some more looking...
A Victron 100/30 mppt is a good choice if you can keep it dry.

Ill catch some flak for recommending a PWM but im currently playing with the Midnite Brat and i gotta say im not disappointed in the least bit. I installed it in place of my Victron 100/30 with no noticeable shortcomings.

Both controllers can do all 3 panels parallel, but the benefit of the Midnite Brat is its an outdoor rated unit. Screw it to a fence post if you want to 😅

Back