diy solar

diy solar

Pwm vs MPPT charge controller on a small scale

Newfiejeff

I am buying a new camper with GoPower solar panels, two in total for 400 watts in total. It will come with the standard 30 amp GoPower PWM charge controller.
I will be on the road full time for about 6 months when I pick up the new camper so doing a major upgrade I won’t have the time.
So my question is would I see much difference if I swap out the PWM charge controller to a Victron MPPT controller on just 400 watts of solar?
See attached specs of the GoPower

Attachments

• IMG_0913.png
    IMG_0913.png
    304.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0912.png
    IMG_0912.png
    241.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0911.png
    IMG_0911.png
    276.6 KB · Views: 9
FWIW, I have two small 1500 watt solar setups. One is using PWM CCs and the other MPPT. I see no "significant" production difference between the two all things considered. The MPPT may produce about 10% more, but the PWM setup is also about 14 years old and the MPPT is only about 2, so there is panel degradation in play.

There is not a simple answer.

It comes down to the application or requirement to modify parameters for me.

Not many PWM sccs can have their parameters modified for differing battery types or applications.

I am however using an Epever VS3024AU PWM set to Gel mode to maintain the cranking batteries in my 4x4. I find the Epever Viewstar PWM series to be excellent for this purpose.

I noticed thw pwm you list has a maximum input voltage of 28V, in cold weather your 24.7voc panel could exceed that.

I am buying a new camper with GoPower solar panels, two in total for 400 watts in total. It will come with the standard 30 amp GoPower PWM charge controller.
I will be on the road full time for about 6 months when I pick up the new camper so doing a major upgrade I won’t have the time.
So my question is would I see much difference if I swap out the PWM charge controller to a Victron MPPT controller on just 400 watts of solar?
Also, thw max amperage your 0anels can output is 9.6, so x 14.4 max voltage you will ever charge the batteries to, gives you a maximum wattage to the battery of 138.24W x2, gives you a maximum wattage possible of 276.48W with a pwm controller.
So keep that in mind.

Start as you mean to go on. Slap the Victron in there and you can be without doubt now and into the future.

Forgot to tell you I will be throwing two lithium batteries in there.
Yes I will definitely put the Victron in, I love the Victron app anyways..LOL

12v 30A is only 360W, so the MAXIMUM wattage you will get
400 watts of panels, I max 19.2 amps at 12v is 230 watts. That's the maximum at 12v with a PWM, in practice the watts will be a lightly higher over most ofthe charge cycle where the volts are higher. At say 14 volts, that's 270 watts, still 19.2 amps.

400 watts of panels at 12v with a MPPT is 33 amps, at 14 volts is 29 amps.

The advantages of a quality MPPT is not only more power into the battery but much better control of charging perameters. Its been suggested that PWM may be detrimental to battery life.
Recommended is the Victron Smart Controller, 100/30.

Mike

400 watts of panels, I max 19.2 amps at 12v is 230 watts. That's the maximum at 12v with a PWM, in practice the watts will be a lightly higher over most ofthe charge cycle where the volts are higher. At say 14 volts, that's 270 watts, still 19.2 amps.

The advantages of a quality MPPT is not only more power into the battery but much better control of charging perameters. Its been suggested that PWM may be detrimental to battery life.

Mike
Yup, see post 6… the post you quoted was the absolute max the controller could produce with tailored panels to the controller…

Mike
Thanks I have the Victron 150/70 kicking around..lol. I will use that for sure!

Mike
Thanks I have the Victron 150/70 kicking around..lol. I will use that for sure

I would like to suggest it all depends on what you want your setup like. If your just wanting simple power without the bells and whistles, PWM is a good option (it's been powering my life for 4 years now and will keep going until an MPPT comes with ternimal bolts instead of delicate screws). But if you really need power and want high efficiency, then definitely go with MPPT. There's no doubt that MPPT will always be better than PWM, though some that are new to solar just need power. A PWM will get them started until an upgrade is desired.

I'm possiby the only person on the forum who chooses PWM, despite they are the lesser/frowned upon choice. But it always gets the job done, nonetheless.

Back