diy solar

diy solar

Aiming Data Point

teal95

Solar Enthusiast
I have a commercially installed 8 kW ground mount that is pointed due south and elevated to the correct year 'round elevation for my latitude. I also just got operational a roof mounted 20 kW array. The peak of the roof is N-S. There are some trees to the south that need trimmed, and it's a pole barn so it's only 4-12 pitch. While the barn is 2.5x the capacity when it's over cast it consistently provides roughly 3x the power. In the week I've had it running we've only had one very short period of sun but it only made 2x the power when the sun was out.

To me this makes sense since with heavy overcast it only matters how much sky the panels can see and the relatively flat barn panels have a much better view of the sky, but when the sun does come out they done have nearly as much exposure.

I've observed the same thing on a smaller scale...
~5Kw winter angle S ground mount
~3Kw 3/12 S roof and ~3Kw 6/12 W roof.

Just wait until the sun shines bright and you see the ground mount shine.

I'm very interested in how early in the morning the roof mount will light off in the summer and how late it will keep producing.

I'm very interested in how early in the morning the roof mount will light off in the summer and how late it will keep producing.
Me too.
Data from a cloudy yesterday and clearing today..
MPPT1 is the ground mount.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240104-105524.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104-105524.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240104-105843.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104-105843.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1
Back