diy solar

diy solar

AIMS Battery Charger 12V & 24V Smart Charger 75 Amps

waiapasi2006

Hello everyone.
I picked up the AIMS charger from a member here.
What would be the suggested charge profile to select?
I was more leaning towards the LiFePo4 setting vs. AGM.
Thank you.

AIMS.JPG

What chemistry of battery are you charging?
If its lifepo4 I would choose Gel.
14 volts will get the battery full and the lowest float available is 13.7.
I would rather have lower float but that is the best available option.

What chemistry of battery are you charging?
If its lifepo4 I would choose Gel.
14 volts will get the battery full and the lowest float available is 13.7.
I would rather have lower float but that is the best available option.
My cells are EVE 230AH.

There is a trim pot on the circuit board that will adjust the voltages. The difference between bulk and float stays the same but you can shift them up or down a little as required. For example, if you adjust the bulk while in AGM setting mode to 14.0, the float will also lower by .6 to 13.1 I suppose you could set the switches to LiFePo4 and adjust there since the bulk and float are the same but I never had it connected to a LiFepo4 battery so I can't verify this. It's touchy and if you're lowering the voltage, your volt meter won't show the adjustment right away because the battery voltage will take some time to settle. This is easier if you have a load on the battery at the same time. I used a small AGM battery on my generator and bridged a brake light bulb to put a small load on the charger at the same time. It's the small blue pot circled in the attached photo. The heat sink has high voltage on it. Although it has a plastic insulator on top, be careful... don't touch it.

aims board Capture_LI.jpg

There is a trim pot on the circuit board that will adjust the voltages. The difference between bulk and float stays the same but you can shift them up or down a little as required. For example, if you adjust the bulk while in AGM setting mode to 14.0, the float will also lower by .6 to 13.1 I suppose you could set the switches to LiFePo4 and adjust there since the bulk and float are the same but I never had it connected to a LiFepo4 battery so I can't verify this. It's touchy and if you're lowering the voltage, your volt meter won't show the adjustment right away because the battery voltage will take some time to settle. This is easier if you have a load on the battery at the same time. I used a small AGM battery on my generator and bridged a brake light bulb to put a small load on the charger at the same time. It's the small blue pot circled in the attached photo. The heat sink has high voltage on it. Although it has a plastic insulator on top, be careful... don't touch it.

View attachment 71426
Hello Brett.
yeah, I don't think I want to mess with this at all.
Thanks though.

It's really not difficult but if you're not comfortable opening it, I would agree with leaving it alone.

Please correct me on this.
If charging a 12v or 24V battery configuration, does this switch adjust the Amp the charger will deliver to the battery?
example:
Charging a 12V battery @ 50% . Will it only deliver 75A/2= 37.5A?

Attachments

• AMIS2.JPG
    AMIS2.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 7
Please correct me on this.
If charging a 12v or 24V battery configuration, does this switch adjust the Amp the charger will deliver to the battery?
example:
Charging a 12V battery @ 50% . Will it only deliver 75A/2= 37.5A?

At 12 volts, you get 75 amps at 24 volts it's 37.5 maximum. that control allows you to lower the maximum current

Just a quick update here for those pro's out there that can shed some light here.
I connected and charged my 12v battery with this charger. I left it connected overnight to see how well it will hold up. It worked flawlessly.
The battery was charged using the "Gel" option. 14v charging and 13.7v float. I did notice 10 amp drop by leaving the charger connected to the battery with it staying on.
Is this a normal draw?
Thanks.

Just a quick update here for those pro's out there that can shed some light here.
I connected and charged my 12v battery with this charger. I left it connected overnight to see how well it will hold up. It worked flawlessly.
The battery was charged using the "Gel" option. 14v charging and 13.7v float. I did notice 10 amp drop by leaving the charger connected to the battery with it staying on.
Is this a normal draw?
Thanks.
Did the charger ever hit the float stage?
Is there also a load on the battery?

Did the charger ever hit the float stage?
Is there also a load on the battery?
Yes, after connecting to the battery for less than 10 minutes, the charger did hit the float stage.
No, there are no loads on the battery. I had it sitting and wanted to charge it up.

Thanks for your response smoothJoey.

Yes, after connecting to the battery for less than 10 minutes, the charger did hit the float stage.
No, there are no loads on the battery. I had it sitting and wanted to charge it up.

Thanks for your response smoothJoey.
I will re-iterate.
If the charger is in float mode and their is no load on the system then their should be no current flow in or out of the battery.
Is this what you saw?

Back