diy solar

diy solar

Air Conditioners in Florida consume more power than Las Vegas to cool from 95° to 78° F

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
Sounds odd right? But I bet it's true.

Both air conditioners operate at the same output temperature. But, when decreasing the air temperature, humidity acts as a "buffer" to decrease the effect of cooling. Every pound of water the air conditioning condenses takes ~970 BTU.

So Florida, having a higher average humidity, means the air conditioner has to work harder to remove the water to cool the air. On the other hand, in Florida the condensers are slightly more efficient (not enough to make up the difference) as the air has a higher heat capacity due to the humidity. In theory the house would reach a minimum humidity with nothing left to condense and the Florida system should be more efficient (due to the higher heat capacity of the outside air). The air inside does get drier, but in summer the water just doesn't stop. I have contemplated putting a hydro-generator on the condensation stream from the AC river in lieu of solar power. No idea how it is leaking into house (everyone claims they don't leave the doors open for long).

It ain't the heat, it's the humidity!

I'm in southwest Florida...yup it gets humid! LOL on the hydro generator, it is amazing how much water they pull out of the air!

It ain't the heat, it's the humidity!

I'm in southwest Florida...yup it gets humid! LOL on the hydro generator, it is amazing how much water they pull out of the air!
Hey there SolarRat. We be neighbors. I'm in Charlotte County

I grew up in Southeast Florida but also lived in some other states. Humidity makes everything suck, in Louisiana and Alabama you don't have the ocean breezes you get in South FL, so even more humidity with no wind, you have trouble breathing. But even worse was the winter, 35 degrees with 100% humidity will freeze you to the bone vs 15 degrees in the mountains.

Back