diy solar

diy solar

Am needing to add panels to existing array: thoughts on choices...

Fenachrone

I can swear it's getting harder to charge batteries by the sun these days. More overcast conditions, dusty, smoky atmosphere in my maritime Canada location? Whatever it is, after many years with my existing array in my off-grid situation I need to increase solar output, not that I had a ton to begin with.

Currently my array consists of five Solar World modules (out of production)

Specification SW 235 Poly
Peak Power Watts (PMAX) 235 W
Maximum Power Voltage (VMPP) 30.0 V
Maximum Power Point Current (IMPP) 7.85 A
Open Circuit Voltage (VOC) 37.0 V
Short Circuit Current (Isc) 8.35 A

...and one GMA Solar module

Specification GMA GMAP6-60-270W
Peak Power Watts (PMAX) 270 W
Maximum Power Voltage (VMPP) 30.94 V
Maximum Power Point Current (IMPP) 8.80 A
Open Circuit Voltage (VOC) 39.26 V
Short Circuit Current Isc) 9.41

The GMA was a replacement after destruction of one of the Solar Worlds with hurricane Fiona. It works fine in the array,
which is two strings of three Solar Worlds and then two Solar Worlds and the GMA.

Initially, this fall, I'd like to add two panels. I have an older MX60 charge controller so may have to be mindful of what I pick.
I'm also wondering how to set these in with respect to my existing panels and string arrangement.

I'm ignoring anything that's 200W or smaller.
Here's what I have access to from vendors I can drive to. So aside from more of the 270W GMA shown above,
these are my options:

GMA Solar

Specification: GMA-M6-60-300W
Peak Power Watts (PMAX) 300W
Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 32.15 DC V
Maximum Power Current (Imp): 9.33 A
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 39.61 DC V
Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 9.78 A

Trina Solar

Specification: TSM-DE09C.07-395
Peak Power Watts (PMAX) 395W
Maximum Power Voltage (VMPP) 34.0V
Maximum Power Current (IMPP) 11.62 A
Open Circuit Voltage (VOC) 41.0 V
Short Circuit Current (ISC) 12.21 A

Canadian Solar

Specification: CS6W-540MB-AG-F42
Peak Power Watts (PMAX) 540W
Maximum Power Voltage (VMPP) 41.3 V
Maximum Power Current (IMPP) 13.08 A
Open Circuit Voltage (VOC) 49.2 V
Short Circuit Current (ISC) 13.9 A
All thoughts and comments are appreciated!

I’m in Vermont- not maritimes but the flats and Great Lakes to the west, and by the time ‘the daily weather’ gets here turbulating over the Adirondacks in NY and the the Green Mountain ridge here in Vermont we’re very cloudy in the northeast kingdom. Nearby places get two to three times the sun we do.

So in my experience I’d pick those Trina 400W. The size is the closest thing to ‘manageable’ to install for large panels. I would orient them with one facing SE and one facing SW. parallel them. And order a ~$100 mppt SCC and just use your older SCC equipment for the existing.
That will maximize your fill-in watts daily

I have got Trina vertex 425w TSM-DE09R.08

Screenshot_2023-08-18-13-05-09-727-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

I am VERY pleased with them

Before I was on old 245w poly panels like yours, pound for pound these Trina's make more electric, they seem to love the sun and produce like crazy , I would recommend

This is my first post on this forum but I certainly hope not my last.
I'm just installing a 5KW upgrade to my system using these latest panels on the market which are Phono solar bifacial double glass, Draco model at 420W each.
Thought I'd try them and pretty stunned at a un unique result to be honest. The panels have glass and cells on both sides?? , never seen ones like that before. They were reported to perform very well in poor and scattered light. UK cost £100 each plus the dreaded VAT.
Well as I'm southern uk and we get one sunny day in 4 with loads of cloud, thought id try them, and installed just a few days ago (in fact still got 3 more to put up), but we lost the light and I did not want to rush. However I connected them up and after doing the normal checks was eagerly looking to see the results on my 5k Hybrid inverter.
Well today after real heavy rain the sky was leaden, and I know my existing 3.3KW normal 8.33 solar panels in those "pants" conditions normally output a max of 200W (until the clouds break). Well I went out expecting to see something like 600W generation.
I was blown away to see 1.5kw being produced.. and really made up. Especially as they are about the same price as all the rest and out perform on cloudy days....

I'm no expert, but I have yet to blow up anything with 5470w attached to my morningstar 150v/60a coming in on 3 different arrays facing E, S and W. Top out around 2700w around 10am
this is at 48v. correct? I am 24v and currently have 2160w connected to my morningstar 150v/60amp charge controller. half facing south east half facing south west.

I’m in Vermont- not maritimes but the flats and Great Lakes to the west, and by the time ‘the daily weather’ gets here turbulating over the Adirondacks in NY and the the Green Mountain ridge here in Vermont we’re very cloudy in the northeast kingdom. Nearby places get two to three times the sun we do.

So in my experience I’d pick those Trina 400W. The size is the closest thing to ‘manageable’ to install for large panels. I would orient them with one facing SE and one facing SW. parallel them. And order a ~$100 mppt SCC and just use your older SCC equipment for the existing.
That will maximize your fill-in watts daily
Thanks for your insights. I was leaning toward the larger output panels. And my plan as well to orient them as you say. I like the idea of the supplemental charge controller, but getting another line through my conduit may have to wait till next season-- or it may just be time to get an updated charge controller.

As such, for now, I wonder how it might work if I put the Trina's on one string, and the older panels on the other.

Last edited:
so currently you have 1445 watts. What voltage is your battery bank?

Personally I would buy another 60 amp charge controller and add around 2000 watts of solar to it. Maybe get another outback power.
My battery bank is 24 volts. Agreed on a new charge controller. As this is a seasonal residence I'm just strategizing to get through this fall and minimize generator use. I have plans to expand the array further.

I'm no expert, but I have yet to blow up anything with 5470w attached to my morningstar 150v/60a coming in on 3 different arrays facing E, S and W. Top out around 2700w around 10am
I think your Morningstar is around the same rating as my Outback MX60. With my existing array I'm far from hitting any limits with it. With the two additional Trina Solar panels I'd still only be at 2235w. And we get a lot of cloudy conditions up there.

I think you will find any of the newer panels are going to be really good. I'd get something sized to fit your back :) as you move it around. I think that 560 is like 90x54 or something. The 455W's I have are like 78 x 40 && 55 lbs, they were quite awkward to hoist up on the roof.

I think you will find any of the newer panels are going to be really good. I'd get something sized to fit your back :) as you move it around. I think that 560 is like 90x54 or something. The 455W's I have are like 78 x 40 && 55 lbs, they were quite awkward to hoist up on the roof.
Thanks, good to think about... My array is a ground mount, so at least have that advantage!

How are your current panels oriented? Are they all facing south?
My home built rack is fixed in a horizontal position; it's not adjustable. It was built this way to provide the best orientation for the seasonal conditions when the house is occupied. This has of course compounded my problems in spring and fall . The angle of the sun drops pretty dramatically particularly in fall so I get much less direct solar impact. I'll position the new panel additions in a more favorable angle.

Next on the agenda will be to buy or construct a movable mount.

Back