diy solar

diy solar

Anker 767 reverse polarity issue

watchdoc

Solar Enthusiast
I did some testing on my unit and found the polarity reversed only while the unit was plugged into a wall outlet. I made a video to detail the test. Anker says they are aware of the issue and sent me a label to return my unit for a new one.

I was hoping to get some feedback from other users rather than... "This is normal for floating neutral solar generators". I understand that in floating neutral wiring, there is no polarity. Both wires are considered hot and a simple plug tester may give inaccurate readings.

What I don't understand is when the unit is plugged into a wall outlet, why would the polarity be reversed? If it's plugged in and charging or in bypass mode, shouldn't it just pass thru the polarity and grounding from the wall outlet?

I bought a polarity tester last night on account of your post and when it arrives Thurs I will test to see if my Anker 767 has this issue. Even if reversed polarity is "safe", what happens to something plugged in to the Anker drawing power from battery and then you connect the Anker to wall power? Is that electrically "safe"? I don't know but common sense says Anker should have kept the polarity the same like you suggest.

My $8 amazon "circuit analyzer" arrived and I have the same reversed polarity issue as you. When connecting the 767 to the wall you hear a loud click internal to the unit then the polarity of all 4 of the 20-amp sockets are reversed. Pull the plug, hear a click, and the polarity is restored. I don't have the correct adapter to test the 30-amp socket, maybe I'll look up how to use my volt meter to run this test.

Regardless of the result of my easy start RV air conditioner install it looks like I will be returning this particular Anker 767. I will await delivery of my easy start before initiating the return as that will inform me whether to even bother getting another 767.

IMO this reverse polarity issue is a complete deal breaker for anyone thinking of using the 767 as a UPS.

My $8 amazon "circuit analyzer" arrived and I have the same reversed polarity issue as you. When connecting the 767 to the wall you hear a loud click internal to the unit then the polarity of all 4 of the 20-amp sockets are reversed. Pull the plug, hear a click, and the polarity is restored. I don't have the correct adapter to test the 30-amp socket, maybe I'll look up how to use my volt meter to run this test.

Regardless of the result of my easy start RV air conditioner install it looks like I will be returning this particular Anker 767. I will await delivery of my easy start before initiating the return as that will inform me whether to even bother getting another 767.

IMO this reverse polarity issue is a complete deal breaker for anyone thinking of using the 767 as a UPS.
Did you resolve this issue?

Did you resolve this issue?
Sorry for the thread necromancy, I had forgot to check back here.

Yes it was resolved by Anker. They sent me a shipping label and within a day or two after returning they initialited sending me a new unit which arrived a few days later. This unit had a distinct S/N and no polarity issue and has been working fine ever since.

Back