diy solar

diy solar

Another Michigan chucklehead

arfbarkyPrime

Howdy, I've been watching both Will's and Jehu's videos recently, on batteries especially. I have a 39 panel system (Mage 230 watt) and Enphase M190 grid-tied inverters, I've had it for 12 years and it's been great (SE Michigan).

What's not so great is the changes the utility (DTE) made to the solar program. I generate a ton of excess, and DTE would cut me a check in February for $600+ every year. But then they changed the purchase rate from retail to wholesale, and now I always have an electric bill again when my over generation used to cover both electric and nat gas usage.

So, with battery prices dropping and cool new inverters around, I'm interested more than ever in keeping all my power.

My ideal system is: run the entire house as is, from battery 24/7 so I never see power outages, charge from solar and keep selling excess if possible, charge from grid when necessary and if the grid is out, charge from natural gas generator I already have (it's manual hookup/startup).

I am an avid DIYer, I've done a lot of plumbing, a lot of electrical and a lot of carpentry. I've also been in the I.T. industry for a very long time, so tech is no problem. I have a licensed electrician friend who vets things for me when I need it. And I was a firefighter/EMT-B for 18 years, so if I fall off a roof or something, I can save myself.

Where do I start research for my ideal system? I'm fine with starting small, small battery, a couple circuits moved off-grid, and building up as time goes on and money permits more battery purchases, etc. I just want to make sure I start right and as always the goal is to do it an inexpensively as possible.

What do I do next? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum !

I’ve done something similar and have my critical loads panel running fine, just need more panels to increase production.

Your experience with DTE is why I will never do the grid tie thing. They make the rules and can change them whenever they like. Always to their own benefit of course. ?

Here is a cut and paste simple description of my critical loads system from another post :

I’ve done the same thing with just one EG4 battery and a critical loads panel for two refrigerator/freezers, garage door opener, sump pump etc.

I use a Schneider CSW 4048 which uses grid and has an automatic transfer switch built in.

It has literally saved my bacon (in the freezer) more than once. ?

I cannot imagine going to the trouble and expense of all this without automatic transfer. I’ve only been home for about half of the “events” where I really needed it to work.

Most days I keep the grid backup turned off while home and use the solar power to run everything. I just flip off the 240V breaker from the main panel to the CSW 4048.

In case of a real emergency when my battery is not full and the power goes out I could use a generator to feed the CSW 4048 and it has an auto transformer in it so I could run 240V loads off my 120V generator. But I’ve never needed that function.

End of cut/paste.

If you’re by the lake in DTE territory I can probably almost, not quite, see you from Marblehead in OH.

Last edited:
I'm over in Ann Arbor. Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at your gear specs and manuals.

I'm not salty about DTE changing the program. They changed it only about 5 years ago but after a bunch of outcry, existing systems were grandfathered in until the 10 year mark and my system paid itself off after about 6 years including the upfront REC payment and the 30% federal tax credit. The installer even allowed us to sign over the upfront REC payment which was about $22k to them, so I didn't have to come up with that money to install.

I'm getting a lot more shading now, I have one tree that really grew up but I'm still generating pretty well -- 8.6 MWh for 2021.

Well the newer all in ones are tempting, especially with up to 500V MPPT built in.

My gear is old, heavy (low freq) but proven stuff.

If you’re starting out with 120V you can scale up with a second unit later to increase capacity and get 240V.

I’m sure you’ve seen Will’s latest YT on the EG4.

I am on the north side of Ann Arbor....welcome...

I would research putting in a hybrid inverter. Many have inputs for grid, loads, batteries, generator, and solar...once setup they decide in a split second what to do and you sit back and enjoy. We usually don't know the power is out till we hear the neighbors generator kick on it switches over that fast...You will also need to research AC coupling to understand which ones can interface with your micro inverters.

Here is a good list of hybrid inverters. I would recommend the Sol-Ark, and Outback

Back