diy solar

diy solar

Any harm in 2 different wire guages?

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
I usually pre order all my wire with lugs (not comfortable yet with my own crimping)

But realize I need to connect my charge controller - to the shunt. Right now it’s on the battery post.

Battery post is 5/16 and shunt posts are 3/8 so my CC - won’t fit. I do have a 4g wire that’s the correct size and it has a 3/8 lug. Perfect.

But that would mean a 6g wire for the CC + and a 4g wire for CC -

Any issues? I’m thinking no issues so long as the wire is able to carry the current (I can go bigger but not smaller).

I thought about drilling, but I do,have lugs. I just don’t trust my crimping. I crimp for ground connections, but too paranoid for the power wires.

So, order a new cable from windy nation or battery cable usa with the correct lugs already on it.

I thought about drilling, but I do,have lugs. I just don’t trust my crimping. I crimp for ground connections, but too paranoid for the power wires.
I bought a crimper and a batch of 100 terminals to test on 8AWG wire and I suck at it. I have the same tool as shown in the youboob videos but they either come out with "wings" on the sides of the crimp or crooked.

So, order a new cable from windy nation or battery cable usa with the correct lugs already on it.

I live in Canada. Battery cables ships to us only. I do have a us ship address so I could order cable for the next time I travel down south.

I might just get a local company to crimp me a wire or I’ll buy some cable and practice crimping. I have 3 ground cables to crimp so I. May just do it

No that's a condition of the wrong crimp or the wrong die used in the crimper.
Not all the time. My greenlee syncro crimper leaves super thin wings unless you put some oil on the dies. I assume when oiled, the surface doesn't grab and displace material, the terminal just slides into place as its crimped?

I think some of these dies should have polished surface for this reason. I was going to try polishing one on a rainy day.

Thanks for the "wings" replies but I'm stumped :)

The terminal is not too big as the cable fits snugly into it.

If I use a smaller die I can't close the jaws, a larger die will not crimp and the cable will rather easily pull out.

The terminal is not too big as the cable fits snugly into it.
Honestly since the wire gauge is larger than you need you could always reduce the size of the wire at the terminal point if you really need to... Alternatively a gentleman on here showed that if you take a zip tie and put it around the end of the wire you can usually slip The next size or two up of wire into an opening that is just a little too small

I use a Hammer Lug Crimper, with a 3lb sledge hammer. 8awg to 4awg. It's rated for that and larger gauges.
Cheap, effective, and no need to fuss with crimp dies. NOT PRETTY. Sometimes I turn the lug over and crimp again.
Hammer Lug Crimper Tool

The problem with those types of crimp is they are no longer considered code compliant.
These days they want a crimp that meets consistent standards for a good cold weld.

I still like to use the Pin crimper myself
But your not going to pass an inspection or your insurance will not cover you if the joint overheats and burns your place down.

1719084436199.png
I would call around and see if Home Despot or other places will rent you a cripmer that you know meets the current regulations and be sure you use the right lugs to fit your wire.

1719085744714.jpeg

Last edited:
And use the right lugs.
Example:

if your using 313 DLO cable for your connections it is except able to use a 400 MCM lug

diy solar

diy solar
Back