diy solar

diy solar

Any harm in 2 different wire guages?

Even lugs from different manufacturers are slightly different in size.
It takes time to figure out who's lugs work best for your crimper and wire choices.

I have a temco dieless crimper. Just learning how many pumps to use. As Tim pointed out different lugs, thicknesses, etc and it takes time to dial it in.

I just like pre ordering most of my stuff from batterycablesusa. But I have to have stuff shipped to the us then I drive down and pick it all up

I have a temco dieless crimper. Just learning how many pumps to use. As Tim pointed out different lugs, thicknesses, etc and it takes time to dial it in.

I just like pre ordering most of my stuff from batterycablesusa. But I have to have stuff shipped to the us then I drive down and pick it all up
Dieless is definitely more versatile (forgiving), for different brands of lugs.

Dieless is definitely more versatile (forgiving), for different brands of lugs.
That was the selling feature. Crimper with dies give you the exact same “pressure” everytime. Die less allows adjustment for different lug material thickness.

I do find I have to crimp more pumps than temco directions state. Moving forward all my lugs will be purchased from the same place.

The problem with those types of crimp is they are no longer considered code compliant.
These days they want a crimp that meets consistent standards for a good cold weld.

I still like to use the Pin crimper myself
But your not going to pass an inspection or your insurance will not cover you if the joint overheats and burns your place down.

View attachment 223890
I would call around and see if Home Despot or other places will rent you a cripmer that you know meets the current regulations and be sure you use the right lugs to fit your wire.

View attachment 223905
A proper crimp uses 6 individual dies...

The two die crimpers are a gamble.

I LIKE the cold weld of the dimple crimpers.

I use a similar tool myself.

What type of crimper would batterycablesusa.com use? (Or any cable company)

I always use solid cooper lugs and a hammer crimper.
A good healthy swing with a 5 pound hammer will deliver an impulse force that beats any power hydraulic crimper on the market.

edit: Since there has been some debate about keeping on topic, I must add that sunshine_eggo already answered that question and corrected his answer after he got his “head out of his butt”.

Last edited:
Honestly since the wire gauge is larger than you need you could always reduce the size of the wire at the terminal point if you really need to... Alternatively a gentleman on here showed that if you take a zip tie and put it around the end of the wire you can usually slip The next size or two up of wire into an opening that is just a little too small
Here in Thailand, most product providers cut corners: wires seem undersized when compared to what should be their matching lugs. We discovered this problem on-site while installing the solar system, and, based on understanding that a proper "cold weld" effectively joins the strands of copper into a single strand, we used our own method to "cheat" and increase the wire size to match the lugs--we added loose strands to the bundle, inserting stubs into/among the wire strands before slipping the lug onto them and crimping. This resulted in a crimp that was not loose afterward, and so far there have been no problems.

Be aware, however, that I had already oversized the wire gauge as compared to calculated amperage requirements. So even if the wire seller cheated me a little, the final product should still be sufficient for the job.

Now, perhaps someone can chime in with the reasons why my little trick should never be considered. Then, come to Thailand and tell us how it should be done given our local conditions and available materials. :)

The crimp dies seem to be dependent on matching the lug. This takes trial and error experience. For my small scale use I would rather play "Wack A Mole".

My Greenlee crimper leaves wings on the lugs from both PolarWire and CEAutoelectric. Lugs from both companies are very heavy wall tinned copper.

Tony from CE told me to either live with the wings or turn the crimped lug 90 degrees and crimp the wings down. Tony also said to use thick walled adhesive shrink tubing.

I’ve cut crimps in half from both and they are solid.

Good luck with your build.

diy solar

diy solar
Back