diy solar

diy solar

any way to grind the weld off cells

Adjake

I have a 48v 105 ah 16 cells pack that I got for free to mess with. there is some corrosion on a couple of bus bars from a leaky case. (this was installed in a golf cart) The cells are in need of top balancing but the bus bars are welded .
Is there any way to safely grind off/remove the bus bars? I'm planning on a new bms, I think the original is shot, and I may make 2 24 volt batteries out of this for my needs.

Thanks

Get a BMS with an active balancer and skip the de-welding. Interesting project and leaking cells will probably make this a fools errand.

Otherwise a small Dremel type tool would be my choice. Wear eye protection.

How will you re-connect them after testing?
61dXa0a8FdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

How will you re-connect them after testing?
I have a couple 48v EG4 packs with a cell in the middle that went bad. All were welded together. I carefully dremeled out the bad cell leaving enough aluminum on the adjacent good cells. Some have a bump, cut that bump off. Then I cut 1/8" aluminum bar to bridge that gap. I bought stubby aluminum pop rivets, drilled holes thru both layers. Popped the first rivet in to hold it tight for the rest of the rivets and holes. Turned out great! 3 rivets in each area formerly welded

Back