diy solar

diy solar

Anyone ever combine PV Array and Wind Turbine with a Sol-Ark?

jmacdonald077

Here is an idea. Assume a Sol-Ark 12K or 15K is already in place with xx kW PV array running. No generator connected to the "GEN" input.
Since the GEN input allows for AC coupling of additional power sources (most typically an existing PV array w/inverter), could this input be used to feed in a wind turbine, which was outputting 120VAC through its own DC-AC inverter?

Most likely yes but it would depend on the AC power quality coming out of the wind turbine.

The biggest problem would be that unless the wind turbine is UL1741 compliant or has the ability for frequency shift curtailment, the Sol-Ark could not control or shut down the wind turbine output if necessary in a grid down condition.

Here is an idea. Assume a Sol-Ark 12K or 15K is already in place with xx kW PV array running. No generator connected to the "GEN" input.
Since the GEN input allows for AC coupling of additional power sources (most typically an existing PV array w/inverter), could this input be used to feed in a wind turbine, which was outputting 120VAC through its own DC-AC inverter?
I wouldn't think this would be very efficient. I'm not an expert in wind, but after watching many vids over the years, my impression is that if you want significant/useable power (like 500w vs 20w toy), a Midnite Classic or some wind sympathetic/configurable MPPT to convert DC -> Battery Charging would be a more efficient approach since wind is sooooo variable.

Not writing this to be discouraging, just to suggest looking into MPPT before making a final decision.

I wouldn't think this would be very efficient. I'm not an expert in wind, but after watching many vids over the years, my impression is that if you want significant/useable power (like 500w vs 20w toy), a Midnite Classic or some wind sympathetic/configurable MPPT to convert DC -> Battery Charging would be a more efficient approach since wind is sooooo variable.

Not writing this to be discouraging, just to suggest looking into MPPT before making a final decision.
Interesting. So basically the idea is the variability of wind lends itself to battery charging, rather than AC use directly.

This guy *seriously* builds / operates wind turbines and in this vid he talks about the control / power -> charging setup. If you look ~55:30 he discusses the wind turbine control -> Midnite Classic MPPT -> battery charging. At 59:45 can see the unit spinning rapidly for context. If you get interested, the overall vid (+ others he's done) might help provide some more in depth info.

Note: Midnite Classics are one of the few charge controllers I've seen specifically designed with options for wind input and I use them for my PV arrays so it's why I'm a bit familiar with them.

cool stuff. yeah the need to dump excess energy immediately to that large resistor (i.e space heater) is interesting when dealing with wind generation.

17026514331706008844588915279508.jpgmy question is do I connect the wind charge controller on the bus bars or straight to the battery?? I've opted for a side by side system and with cut off charging from the wind charge controller when batteries are 90% full. Thank you in advance for the tips.... 100% off grid

Back