diy solar

diy solar

Sol-ark question re additional AC coupled array

need GT inverter
As much as I posted earlier in this thread about the value of AC coupling, I do not see a need for AC coupling in this situation. As I read more of this thread I think the lack of production on that one string may simply be incorrect Charge Controller settings or production being curtailed because the batteries may be full. I have asked for kWh data to support the need for more production and none has been forthcoming. I suggest you spend more time documenting the performance of your system and determine what your needs actually are in terms of kWh capacity before you decide whether AC coupling is what you actually need.

How many kWhs does your system produce in a year and what is your consumption on an annual basis?

Last edited:
As much as I posted earlier in this thread about the value of AC coupling, I do not see a need for AC coupling in this situation. As I read more of this thread I think the lack of production on that one string may simply be incorrect Charge Controller settings or production being curtailed because the batteries may be full. I have asked for kWh data to support the need for more production and none has been forthcoming. I suggest you spend more time documenting the performance of your system and determine what your needs actually are in terms of kWh capacity before you decide whether AC coupling is what you actually need.

How many kWhs does your system produce in a year and what is your consumption on an annual basis?

annual critical loads 16560kwh
Annual production. 11616kwh

its an 0ff grid inverter, need GT inverter
I'm not sure you'll find a GT inverter that will work with your ~ 100 VDC negative grounded array.
The 100 VDC could be rewired pretty easily in the combiner box to increase the voltage, however the PV negative to ground connection isn't helping. I'm pretty sure that every modern inverter I've seen is meant for floating (not grounded) PV array.
If you're willing pull new wire to the array, picking a GT inverter will be easy.

If not running a new ground through the conduit, maybe you can find a 10-20 year old grid tie inverter that will work with a grounded PV array.

Or maybe someone here knows of a grid tied inverter that will be happy with a grounded PV wiring.

That explains why your charge controller is always in float stage because the batteries are full. There is nothing wrong with your charge controller. If you want to get that array to put out more power you could always run your system on batteries overnight and charge them during the day from the charge controller. That is the least expensive way to get some of the 25% production you are trying to get.

I got the CC to sell 1500 watts. Set float voltage to the same as the inverter and put the inverter in time of use mode. When Vbatt < Vfloat, CC kicked in and a lot more power was sold than than from the arrays connected to the inverter. Still a few problems to solve yet.

Dunno. This was just a test today. There wasn’t much sun for one thing so 2500 watts output from the CC was pretty good for an aging array. When I stopped the test, the batts recharged from the grid rather than from than from the arrays. But making progress.

As for estimates,due to poor sun and shorter days, the 3 arrays were producing less than 20 kwh. I have to figure out how to get batteries recharged from the arrays rather than from the grid.

Last edited:
I have to figure out how to get batteries recharged from the arrays rather than from the grid.
As mentioned several times throughout this thread it is all about the settings and the SOC of the batteries when the sun comes out. You will want the batteries at a low SOC at daybreak so the charge controller will charge them. That means you want the SolArk to use the batteries overnight so the charge controller can charge them in the morning and you want to set the SolArk settings to charge as last resort. If that is too difficult you may need to spend some money to better utilize that one array. Because it has a different voltage from the other three, it would have to be on a separate MPPT controller and configured to put out enough voltage to meet the minimum to work with the SolArk. That means the existing three arrays would have to all go to one of the MPPT inputs. There is not enough information to know if that is possible or even an option. There is not much more I can offer beyond what has already been said.

Last edited:
my new Sol-Ark 12k inverter is running just fine with the negative side grounded!
The sol-ark works just fine thankyou
You responded to my one post twice, so I decided to do the research for you.
From the Sol Ark manual:

From the warnings on page 5
1703119592113.png

Page 21, step C
1703119416330.png

From the fault list:
1703119613349.png

Attachments

• 1703119445395.png
    1703119445395.png
    54 KB · Views: 2
  • 1703119512309.png
    1703119512309.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 3
As mentioned several times throughout this thread it is all about the settings and the SOC of the batteries when the sun comes out. You will want the batteries at a low SOC at daybreak so the charge controller will charge them. That means you want the SolArk to use the batteries overnight so the charge controller can charge them in the morning and you want to set the SolArk settings to charge as last resort. If that is too difficult you may need to spend some money to better utilize that one array. Because it has a different voltage from the other three, it would have to be on a separate MPPT controller and configured to put out enough voltage to meet the minimum to work with the SolArk. That means the existing three arrays would have to all go to one of the MPPT inputs. There is not enough information to know if that is possible or even an option. There is not much more I can offer beyond what has already been said.
I have the batteries selling at 1-2KW. Setting the voltage at float voltage, the system sells power while the battery stays at the float voltage (100% SOC) maintained by the DC coupled CC as long as there is solar gain. It was ammatter of figuring out the TOU settings. Only negative is keeping an eye on the sky and turning TOU on manually. But thats a lot cheaper than buying a new inverter. Ampster (I think) given me a clue when had indicated previously that the CC was thinking the battery was full. Thank you.

Back