diy solar

diy solar

Anyone in the US still on the Starlink wait list?

I'm in Pinal County AZ. We were on the wait list for about 5 months when our stuff showed up. We got our Starlink early 2023.
Considering the only (3) total options for me were Hughes Net, ViaSat and Starlink. For me it was a no brainer.
I've been very impressed with the service Starlink has provided. Up time is near 100%. The fact that weather has no effect on Starlink is added bonus. Speeds are pretty impressive as well.
I'm able to remote into my computer at the office and it's like I'm sitting at that computer. Lag time is not noticeable most of the time.
I wish the service were just a bit cheaper than $120 per month, but it's still less than half of what we used to shovel out every month. That makes it palatable.

I'm in Pinal County AZ. We were on the wait list for about 5 months when our stuff showed up. We got our Starlink early 2023.
Considering the only (3) total options for me were Hughes Net, ViaSat and Starlink. For me it was a no brainer.
I've been very impressed with the service Starlink has provided. Up time is near 100%. The fact that weather has no effect on Starlink is added bonus. Speeds are pretty impressive as well.
I'm able to remote into my computer at the office and it's like I'm sitting at that computer. Lag time is not noticeable most of the time.
I wish the service were just a bit cheaper than $120 per month, but it's still less than half of what we used to shovel out every month. That makes it palatable.

Yeah, the $150 a month is keeping us from just switching over from our cable internet service which is $55/mo with the equipment rental. I think it's $5 is for the modem. Probly should just buy one.

Anyway, $120 for the fixed residential service isn't cheap, but a lot of people pay that or more for faster wired systems. We don't do online gaming, or have a lot of high-volume data needs. We both work remote, computer-centric, and the basic 300mbs from Spectrum service is plenty fast for both of us. Starlink would do it as well - it puts thru about 300mbs for the fixed residential service - it gets priority over the roaming service.

One of the mobile users on a user forum has the fixed residential starling service, and when he travels, he tends to stay in one place for a time, so he just dials up a change of location. There are so many satellites up there now there doesn't seem to be a problem with switching locations. I suppose you could get caught out on a change, but then you could just go with the roaming service.

If you have a fixed mount on your house you would have to take the dish down to take it with you. I checked on getting a spare dish, but that is actually the licensed piece that connects to the service - it's all wrapped up in the dish - the modem/router unit powers it with the 75' connecting cable. There is an optional 150' cable - it's expensive. LOL Some people leave the cable routed on the house and just move the dish. The modem/router unit is $$ to, they run $250.

We'll keep the fixed internet at the house for now at $55. If they raise the price to $95 (one year promotional discount) then we may seriously consider just dumping it and use Starlink. We have a perfect north facing roof, could just take the dish with us when we go motor-homing. Either keep the roam service, or just switch it back and forth. Being able to turn off starlink means we probly only need it for half the year.

I was trying to decide how to connect and power the setup with the RV
We just returned from a week @ the beach, first time w/ Starlink, great!
I put the WIFI and PS in the side compartment of the RV that has a power receptacle and a
small opening in the floor to run the Ethernet cable through.
Put the antenna on top of the RV.
starlink_wifi_and_power supply copy.jpeg
starlink_gamble-rogers.jpg
App showed me the best alignment, over 400mb down, outstanding!
PS: we were able to watch a launch of more Starlink satellites from our campground, while watching Youtube live for Starlink launch status....over Starlink.......crazy....

We just returned from a week @ the beach, first time w/ Starlink, great!
I put the WIFI and PS in the side compartment of the RV that has a power receptacle and a
small opening in the floor to run the Ethernet cable through.
Put the antenna on top of the RV.
View attachment 213324
View attachment 213325
App showed me the best alignment, over 400mb down, outstanding!
PS: we were able to watch a launch of more Starlink satellites from our campground, while watching Youtube live for Starlink launch status....over Starlink.......crazy....
Is that Mercedes class motor home?

Looks nice.

Plenty of room for 2 people looks like.

Diesel?

We were paying upwards near $300 a month between cable, internet, and 2 streaming services Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Now the only thing we have to worry about is Starlink and Prime. My wife says the Prime is $130 per year so between Starlink and Prime that's $138 per month. I can live with that.
Over the last year we went 100% off-grid and now the only reoccurring monthly bills I have are Starlink, Mint mobile for the cell phones.
The amount of money we are saving in a year is mind boggling.

My Starlink satellite receiver is sitting on the ground right next to my solar panel array. :)
Makes easy to clean the 1/4" of dust off it every month.
As long as it has a clear view of the north sky, I guess it doesn’t matter really where it sits.

You guys must not get the same type of storms as here. It does not happen often, but it does happen.

Maybe lightning/electromagnetic related and not the precipitation?

Just heavy clouds, because it can drop out before it even starts actually raining.
Perhaps also due to the number of sats in my area. Because when I first got it, there were only 3 at any given time. I have not looked recently.

I get dropouts during very heavy thunderstorms (I assume mostly from signal attenuation because of the volume of water). Other than that, it's great. I've got the standard Gen 2 dish, with the included base, mounted on my roof. I bought a kit from amazon that included 4 magnet pucks to place on the mount, and I'm just using them to mount to my steel roof.

We were in the very first beta test shipments, with a gen 1 dish. I think I've seen our Starlink go down three times: Once when it snowed and sleeted so hard the snow melt function couldn't keep up. That lasted about an hour as I recall, and then it corrected itself. Then twice more during very, very hard downpours. Each of those outages lasted under 5 minutes. Much more reliable than our old cable internet in the previous house in Hellburbia. Fiber will be here in the next two years and we'll sign up and use it, with a cellular backup, as the cost is much lower and the speed much faster. But Starlink has been fantastic for our rule lives, and I'd recommend it to anyone in search of a good connection in a rural area that doesn't have fiber.

diy solar

diy solar
Back