diy solar

diy solar

Are AIO inverters prone to overheating?

ongkee

Just curious if AIOs are more prone to overheating vs the regular off-grid inverter with separate MPPT SCC. I'm planning to switch to an AIO from my old set-up which I placed a dedicated fan on my MPPT SCC to cool it off while the inverter has it's own built-in fan (2 fans with 2 intake). AIO from what I can see is MPPT SCC and Inverter in one box with only 2 fans and 2 intake (just like a regular inverter)

Guess it largely depends on the AIO.

My 'fanless' Solis has 2 small fans inside and a big heatsink, which kick in only when battery charge discharge exceed 40A.

Another member on here added external fans to keep his cool - see this post and the next one in that thread.

Just curious if AIOs are more prone to overheating vs the regular off-grid inverter with separate MPPT SCC. I'm planning to switch to an AIO from my old set-up which I placed a dedicated fan on my MPPT SCC to cool it off while the inverter has it's own built-in fan (2 fans with 2 intake). AIO from what I can see is MPPT SCC and Inverter in one box with only 2 fans and 2 intake (just like a regular inverter)

I think by squeezing all those different components into one box you are always going to get more heat

But most all should run at an acceptable temperature

I wonder if someone's got facts and figures ?

I think by squeezing all those different components into one box you are always going to get more heat
Putting my ? hat on... the heat generated will be the same (assuming same efficiencies), it will be the temperature that will increase until the energy dissipated matches that generated. But we know what you mean... at least this time ;)

wonder if someone's got facts and figures ?
I would expect each component in there, inverter, charger, and MPPT, are all rated to derate with heat slightly different and you won’t find that in a spec sheet.

This is from a small inverter by Victron where the ambient temp is shown:
IMG_1350.jpeg
Reason derating is a concern for me is I‘m getting an inverter charger installed and wonder how much I will lose in the summer when the temp approaches the hotter portion. The spec sheet says derates when hot, but does not give an exact amount. I expect derating like above.

Last edited:
The spec sheet says dresses when hot
?definitely agree with that ;)

Seriously though...
They shouldn't get too hot unless the air around them is too hot.
Totally agree if well designed. It annoys me when manufacturers don't fit big enough heatsinks to naturally cool, then you need extra fans to remove all that hot air.

Putting my ? hat on... the heat generated will be the same (assuming same efficiencies), it will be the temperature that will increase until the energy dissipated matches that generated. But we know what you mean... at least this time ;)

SeaGal , you give off this real head mistress vibe ?

wonder how much I will lose in the summer when the temp approaches the hotter portion.
Location, location, location.
If the heat of summer affects your system. It's installed in the wrong environment. (Other than the solar panels , which is out of our control)

I would expect each component in there, inverter, charger, and MPPT, are all rated to derate with heat slightly different and you won’t find that in a spec sheet.

This is from a small inverter by Victron where the ambient temp is shown:
View attachment 179875
Reason derating is a concern for me is I‘m getting an inverter charger installed and wonder how much I will lose in the summer when the temp approaches the hotter portion. The spec sheet says derates when hot, but does not give an exact amount. I expect derating like above.
Not sure which inverter/charger you are looking at but the Victrons show the derate at 65C as well

Screenshot_20231123_164932_Samsung Notes.jpg

Totally agree if well designed. It annoys me when manufacturers don't fit big enough heatsinks to naturally cool, then you need extra fans to remove all that hot air.
If you need extra fans, the system design is flawed. (Not the equipment)

If you need extra fans, the system design is flawed. (Not the equipment)
How do you mean?

If an AIO, for example, is specified to charge up to 100A, but when installed in (say) an outbuilding at 10C (i.e. not in the wrong environment) but then reaches 70C and restricts charge current, then IMHO it is the AIO's design that is flawed. i.e. it does not have a big enough heatsink and/or fans to keep it working within its specified parameters.

How do you mean?

If an AIO, for example, is specified to charge up to 100A, but when installed in (say) an outbuilding at 10C (i.e. not in the wrong environment) but then reaches 70C and restricts charge current, then IMHO it is the AIO's design that is flawed. i.e. it does not have a big enough heatsink and/or fans to keep it working within its specified parameters.
It shouldn't reach 70c if in a 10c environment.
As long as air flow isn't restricted.
If it does, then send it back. Because it's a defective unit.
Derating is a safety feature. If Derating is happening, something is wrong.

Location, location, location.
If the heat of summer affects your system. It's installed in the wrong environment. (Other than the solar panels , which is out of our control)
In 115 F whether, not an easy option locating elsewhere.

This equipment is not supposed to be installed in a living area which is air conditioned.

The two real choices are outdoors in the weather or in a garage reaching 105 F before the equipment is installed.

The equipment is located in the garage and the only option is to air condition the uninsulated garage.

In 115 F whether, not an easy option locating elsewhere.

This equipment is not supposed to be installed in a living area which is air conditioned.

The two real choices are outdoors in the weather or in a garage reaching 105 F before the equipment is installed.

The equipment is located in the garage and the only option is to air condition the uninsulated garage.

With 115f weather , I'd probably move somewhere else ?

Why?
What equipment have you purchased?
That's a shame. I guess that it's too late to select different equipment.
I would point an A/C unit at it. To help with life expectancy.

or put it in the freezer like our Australian member did here...

or put it in the freezer like our Australian member did here...
This is a permitted by the town and inspected by the power company build. A freezer definitely would not be allowed.

Adding a 20k BTU AC is not really a rational option moneywise.

This is a permitted by the town and inspected by the power company build. A freezer definitely would not be allowed.

Adding a 20k BTU AC is not really a rational option moneywise.

Is there equipment available that is rated for higher temperatures?

Morningstar tristar mppt comes to mind

A large Inverter might be the real issue

diy solar

diy solar
Back