diy solar

diy solar

one very cool battery box...

jp4782

Problem - heat. Solution - freezer.

Actually it's a new hybrid chest freezer which doubles as a fridge - and highly efficient at that, due to the high value insulation. I've added a separate thermostat to keep it at approx 22c rather than 4 (too cold) or the often 40+ C in the shed where this is situated (Australia).

The setup inside is a 16kw CATL 304amp 16S with a JK BMS and the new Growatt 6kw SPF 6000 that seems to work as it should. Fingers crossed. With 4kw of second hand panels. My main concern is that if the Growatt packs it in there's a possible 370 vdc headed unregulated into the lifepo4 (after frying the JK BMS first). A possible 85 kg bomb...

And those panels were picked up for $20 each ?

pic1.jpg

sp.jpg

Love it... Plenty of room for more cells too, I guess. But how on earth did you install / wire up / compress 16 cells in there without hanging upside down or doing your back in :unsure:

here's a snap of the inside - still an ongoing task as need to tidy up wires/connections, build a hanger for the BMS and a perspex cover over the pack- too easy to drop something onto the cells from above. View attachment 179516
It makes me uncomfortable just looking at how close that BMS case is to the main positive battery terminal.
Until you get the BMS mounted and the Perspex cover, please pick up some Kapton tape and cover that terminal. Or better yet, cover everything that’s live and exposed.
It’s cheap insurance!

But how on earth did you install / wire up / compress 16 cells in there without hanging upside down or doing your back in :unsure:
Duh! He's in Australia!
Everything is upside-down...
He just lifted them up and pushed them up to the floor...
Then flipped the camera upside down so the rest of us wouldn't get vertigo. ;) ?

still an ongoing task as need to tidy up wires/connections, build a hanger for the BMS and a perspex cover over the pack- too easy to drop something onto the cells from above.
Great idea. Found polycarbonate sheet a good cover over the top. Provides peace of mind.

I ended up extending the cables on this BMS to allow repositioning in my build. Since these wires are 7 awg I was able to connect to 6 awg with a 6 awg butt connector, crimping and shrink wrap. Gave me options when positioning or hanging it.

Found the wire harness cover found in automotive stores makes a nice organizer for the BMS wires. Usually comes in a roll and can be cut and positioned as needed.

I ended up extending the cables on this BMS to allow repositioning in my build. Since these wires are 7 awg I was able to connect to 6 awg with a 6 awg butt connector, crimping and shrink wrap. Gave me options when positioning or hanging it.
I'll probably do the same to make it all a better fit. I'm also planning on a small dehumidifier inside, that will turn on and off as the freezer cycles on and off (probably only a few times a day to maintain 20-24 degrees).

It makes me uncomfortable just looking at how close that BMS case is to the main positive battery terminal.
Until you get the BMS mounted and the Perspex cover, please pick up some Kapton tape and cover that terminal. Or better yet, cover everything that’s live and exposed.
It’s cheap insurance!
Forget the clearance to positive, im worried about that one balance lead with tape on it.

Back