diy solar

diy solar

Are all Blue tooth Dongles the same?

NotToFast

Wondering if anyone knows if there is any difference in BlueTooth dongles. I have a Renogy Rover with a dongle that I am putting in storage. I have the Victron Shunt which has a dongle available(which I don't have) and it looks identical to the Renogy. Anyone know if they are the same? Can I switch my Renogy dongle to the Victron Shunt?

Last edited:
Are all the same? No.

Will it work? Maybe?

Anything that is a usb device requires a driver no matter what you plug it into.

Now that said a driver can be a piece of software like what you download when your computer says hardware found and ask for the driver if it can't find one on its own or it can be a "standard". (I'm really doing this as simple as I can so I know I'm skipping hardware id's etc lets just go with it)

The "standard" part is a basically a generic framework that allows things to be used by devices that don't have a real operating system.

Anyways back to your question. There is a chance you can move a bluetooth dongle between devices like your wanting to do but the odds are not in your favor.

It won't hurt to try it though.

Are all the same? No.

Will it work? Maybe?

Anything that is a usb device requires a driver no matter what you plug it into.

Now that said a driver can be a piece of software like what you download when your computer says hardware found and ask for the driver if it can't find one on its own or it can be a "standard". (I'm really doing this as simple as I can so I know I'm skipping hardware id's etc lets just go with it)

The "standard" part is a basically a generic framework that allows things to be used by devices that don't have a real operating system.

Anyways back to your question. There is a chance you can move a bluetooth dongle between devices like your wanting to do but the odds are not in your favor.

It won't hurt to try it though.
There's also multiple Bluetooth specs and versions. Some work with some devices others don't.

diy solar

diy solar
Back