diy solar

diy solar

Aussie newby, solar/wind generation refit on sailboat plan

SYKaiea

Hi All,
Really enjoy Will's presentations especially the info and knowledge he is happy to share - excellent.
Have joined the forum to gain knowledge and information on my plan to carry out overhaul and upgrade my sailboat power supplies to live and operate offshore/offgrid on my sailboat.
Can happily swing a spanner and have a good mechanical background with an electrical Achilles heel.
As a result, I hope to find information, answers and any queries I might have building, fitting, setting to work and operating a complete electrical system onboard, being safe and reliable to meet current and any foreseeable power requirements.
Look forward to this new project, and sharing info to any of the interested peeps.
Anthony
SY Kaiea
Aussie sailor, boat in Aussie whilst I am currently landlocked in Canada, due to current covid travel restrictions.

G'day Mate,

I've spent a fair amount of time down under (~1yr) and looking forward to a bit more while circum-navigating.

I have a 38ft ~12m masthead sloop with a 400ah 12v AGM system on life support.

Existing Equip:
Xantrex 2000 prowatt pure sinewave inverter/charger.
80amp 12v internally regulated alternator.
120v 30a shore power
4 200ah 6v Trojan AGM batteries plus 1, 12v AGM starter battery.

Looking at installing:

24v 8S 280ah LiFePO4 system that integrates, PV, 120v 30a shore power, and alternator.
I think I have all the components figured out. e.g.: 24v alternator, 12v starter battery, etc. I'm just in a quandary as to how to integrate the whole mess w/o screwing up. I like the idea of 24v but it seems to complicate the integration of all the components. 12v would be simpler. Maybe that's the way I should go.

Because I will be at sea for weeks at a time I need to be able to use the alternator, PV and/or other inputs to maintain capacity to run systems. (nav, fridge, radios, bilge pump). Plus if I have the opportunity to use shore power, I would like to take advantage.

Additionally, I want to know all my systems inside out especially electrical.

Greg & Jennie
SV Jalapeño

Hello Greg,

nice to meet you here.
There seems to be a wealth of information on RV upgrades and off grid systems, but not so much on marine - or specifically, sail boat systems.
The kind of work you are planning appears to be very similar to what I am considering, am hoping we can or others can exchange information on what will work and what will not, tips and tricks as well as to note or be wary of any pitfalls for this kind of installation
Similar in the way of being able to spend extended time on the hook or sailing with the less amount of time on a dock, considering 24V storage and charging of LiFePO4 house bank, keeping 12V system for all sailing electronics.

My first questions being to decide on one or the other 12 or 24 house batt bank, pros and cons of 24V over 12V house storage LiFePO4 batt bank. Like you, I am leaning toward a 24V LiFePO4 house bank, whilst maintaining 12V systems for main engine and gen starting systems and charging of each of their own 12V AGM batts as well as all associated sailing electronics.
Then next question is regarding batt ah buying and fitting, space is not an issue.
Which would be preferable between, buying 8 in number of 12V/100ah batts for a total of 800ah storage, or would it be preferable to purchase half as many four x 24V 200ah batts for same total house power?

Am planning on using Victron components where more critical items are identified.
LiFePO4 batts is another quandary at this time, considering all from Victron

At this time I am seeking a sailboat experienced electrical design individual, specifically, to make contact with a suitably knowledgable Marine electrician, Queensland, or anywhere else for that matter, who can assist me in designing a 'off grid' 240AC, 24 and 12V complete electrical system so that I can purchase, install, and get through life support, if required to operate and maintain.
I have a 13.5 mtr steel hull sailboat, I am thinking about replacing/upgrading, refit if you will, 90% of the electrical system onboard. Existing and will be remaining onboard is Kubota D905 4kW generator, 240/50hz and Kubota main engine both with standard 12VDC start and alternators.
No shorpoxer converts is fitted, so I a planning for the following, fitting a LiFePO4 24V 800ah house battery bank.
This is to supply one x 3 or 4k inverter, two DC-DC 24/12 converters.
The house bank is to be charged using 24V 400 to 500W total of solar panels, 24V windgenertor as well ashen required, the generator will charge the house bank using a 240/24 ACDC charger as required.
I would then need to purchase Galvanic Isolation shore charger input 240/110, out put 240VAC and 24DC. I will have to purchase shore power cable, male and female plugs, fuses, breakers, solar MPPTs x 2, shunt, LiFePO4 800ah batteries - BMS, busbars, cables, lugs, connectors, breakers, Battery monitoring system fitted display - blue tooth - if optioned.
Electrical design to include electrical schematic, showing all items, battery charging and discharging safety cutouts, overcurrent, overvoltage, undercurrent, undervoltage, charging and discharging, hi and low batt temp heat sensor cutouts etc.
I would in effect have three elec systems onboard, 240AC (with option for 110AC - down the track, seperate inverter), 24 & 12VDC. AC power from shore power, generator and inverter, 24V house bank, and charging system - solar, wind and gen, and 24/12 DC for 12VDC sailing electronics, VHF, Autopilot, AIS, VHF, wind speed,/direction, TWA/TWS, chart plotters x 2, depth sounder, LED lighting interior and nav lights, anchor windlass, 12 VDC chargers, cigarette and USB x 2.
240 AC system will consist of the generator and water maker, hotwater heater, already fitted, new items will have to be purchased will be shorepower converter, 3 or 4000W inverter, fuses, breakers, cables and connectors, monitoring, fridge, freezer, induction cooktop, microwave convection oven, washing machine, outlets in interior, portable welder, charging station for power tools, electric outboard, laptops, camera gear, phones etc.

Once all components identified and complete system is designed, with the KISS acronym in mind, then I would be purchasing all items and start on this project, quality recommended brands are planned to be used with critical components.

So I am reaching out here, looking to ask if any there have done this kind of upgrade to their own sailing boat or RV that may have system drawings and or sage advice for myself as a newbie to this kind of project.

Kind regards, Anthony.
SY KaiEa

Back