diy solar

diy solar

Australia - Group buy - DEYE 5kw hybrid (Aus approved)

Hey - everything has been running well for a couple months now.

My inverters dont talk to my BMS, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO. I use a raspberry Pi to get info from the BMS & put it into Home Assistant dashboard to check all the details.

My Deye units are configured with max charge/discharge rates - 70A each, so max possibly would be 140A. I've only got 4kw panels max on one - so thats 74A anyway. Each unit pulls max 5kw - 100A max anyway, for a 280Ah pack thats fine.
The inverters allow custom voltage settings for charging (it assumes SLA battery when doing this?) - which I set to 55.2 for Absorb & Equalization - which actually gives 54.7v at the battery (just an odd 0.5v diff for some reason). So it hits 3.418v per cell on charge. Float is then at 54.8 - 54.3v at the battery which is 3.39v/cell. This works beautifully & the charge curve is nice & all behaves well.

I'm super, SUPER happy with the DEYE units - the support/company is a bit meh to deal with, but the product itself is flawless.

The only thing i've had to do is add fans to the external heatsink - 2x92mm ultra silent PC fans are perfect. It was getting pretty warm until full charge on a hot day - I prefer to keep temps to a minimal for longevity.
Thanks for the heads up.
The 0.5V diff could be due to instrument calibration and some volt drops.
I think my 5kW Deye model comes with fans (I've not unboxed yet).

Do you mind to share a photo of the setup?
I want to do the same and looking for ideas.
Thanks.
I just have 102mm fans sitting on top - a bit dodge, i dont have a pic of the right setup.
The best setup is to sit 92mm fans below the heatsink, just put a 90deg bracket off the wall where the inverter is mounted to

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Anyone know if the Deye/Sunsynk inverters are likely to appear on the CEC list now that the new standard (AS/NZS4777.2:2020) is fully implemented?
I emailed the Australia contact last week and still waiting to hear back.

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Anyone know if the Deye/Sunsynk inverters are likely to appear on the CEC list now that the new standard (AS/NZS4777.2:2020) is fully implemented?
I emailed the Australia contact last week and still waiting to hear back.
Thats the greenbanks guys?

I emailed Deye in China & spoke with them last week - here's their replies...

"the existing inverters be re-certified"
"Three phase hybrid inverter has finished updating. Single phase will be concluded at early March.We added more features and also certified DC switch."

I'm trying to get one of these installed for my sister in Sydney & its INFURIATING that no installers will do them. You're not in Syd with an installer that will do the work are you?

Thats the greenbanks guys?

I emailed Deye in China & spoke with them last week - here's their replies...

"the existing inverters be re-certified"
"Three phase hybrid inverter has finished updating. Single phase will be concluded at early March.We added more features and also certified DC switch."

I'm trying to get one of these installed for my sister in Sydney & its INFURIATING that no installers will do them. You're not in Syd with an installer that will do the work are you?
No, I was looking primarily at Sunsynk, and they have Gary McDonald of Solarmyworld listed as their Australia contact.

I'm based in New Zealand. I haven't spoken to my Electrician yet about using Sunsynk or Deye, so hopefully he is ok with it. I don't see how he can't be if they are on the approved list.

Edit: If the single phase units are not going to be re-certified until early March, and they are being updated with additional features, I wonder how long it will be until I can get one of them here :|

Last edited:
No, I was looking primarily at Sunsynk, and they have Gary McDonald of Solarmyworld listed as their Australia contact.

I'm based in New Zealand. I haven't spoken to my Electrician yet about using Sunsynk or Deye, so hopefully he is ok with it. I don't see how he can't be if they are on the approved list.
ahhh yeah - they are a *slightly* different product in terms of hardware, and they run custom software.

FYI - some updated dates... I'm just copy & pasting, unsure of why the date for the 5 is duplicated, and the diff between 6 & 6k :/
But some rough guidance -

"
Single phase 3/3.6/5/6K is end of April;
Single phase 5/6/7.6/8K is June;
Three phase 5/6/8/10/12K is end of March.
"

FYI - some updated dates... I'm just copy & pasting, unsure of why the date for the 5 is duplicated, and the diff between 6 & 6k :/
But some rough guidance -

"
Single phase 3/3.6/5/6K is end of April;
Single phase 5/6/7.6/8K is June;
Three phase 5/6/8/10/12K is end of March.
"
Thanks for that, will see what other options there are and decide if it's worth waiting.

Thanks for that, will see what other options there are and decide if it's worth waiting.
There is really nothing that compares locally... (please prove me wrong)

They're typically:
- more expensive
- require a meter to be purchased & installed (space + $)
- only support specific BMS

You could buy something that supports Pylon & use a Seplos BMS, I use JK so its a no go for me

Attachments

• battery inverters.PNG
    battery inverters.PNG
    41.4 KB · Views: 27
There is really nothing that compares locally... (please prove me wrong)

They're typically:
- more expensive
- require a meter to be purchased & installed (space + $)
- only support specific BMS

You could buy something that supports Pylon & use a Seplos BMS, I use JK so its a no go for me
Agreed, I'm actually using VRLA batteries for now, got 40kWh worth of second hand ones for scrap value, so I need an inverter with battery temperature monitoring. So other than the Deye/Sunsynk, it's really only Victron, Selectronic or SMA Sunny Island that I've found so far which have the features I need. And total cost will end up being 2-5 times that of a Deye/Sunsynk by the time I buy the battery inverter and an MPPT solar charge controller.

20220123_142501 (Medium).jpg

Agreed, I'm actually using VRLA batteries for now, got 40kWh worth of second hand ones for scrap value, so I need an inverter with battery temperature monitoring. So other than the Deye/Sunsynk, it's really only Victron, Selectronic or SMA Sunny Island that I've found so far which have the features I need. And total cost will end up being 2-5 times that of a Deye/Sunsynk by the time I buy the battery inverter and an MPPT solar charge controller.
The Sofar is an option! & pretty well priced
It cant treat LiFePO4 like SLA, but can work well with SLA & has proper temp controls etc.

EDIT: Sofar HYD 3k-6k EP series

Another question for the Deye experts.
I am going to have 15kwp of panels. And figured it's going to be simpler and not much more expensive to have 2 or 3 Deye hybrid inverters, rather than one hybrid and one or two pv inverters.

I'm therefore deciding between having 3 of the sun-5k units, or 2 sun-8k units. The weird thing is that the 8k units look like they will end up being more expensive. Usd2k each for 8k, and usd1k each for the 5k.
Any reason to go for 8k units rather than 5ks? The only real difference that I have found is that the 8ks have fans, and 5ks do not, but sounds like it's easy to add them.

I just have 102mm fans sitting on top - a bit dodge, i dont have a pic of the right setup.
The best setup is to sit 92mm fans below the heatsink, just put a 90deg bracket off the wall where the inverter is mounted to
Do the fans plug straight into the inverter, do they have headers like you have on a computer motherboard? Or do you need to wire them up to a separate supply?

Another question for the Deye experts.
I'm therefore deciding between having 3 of the sun-5k units, or 2 sun-8k units. The weird thing is that the 8k units look like they will end up being more expensive. Usd2k each for 8k, and usd1k each for the 5k.
Any reason to go for 8k units rather than 5ks? The only real difference that I have found is that the 8ks have fans, and 5ks do not, but sounds like it's easy to add them.
Are all units going onto a single phase of power? i.e. in parallel?
I'd probably go the 8k units - much more simple to install, less space required (check the specs - 500mm between each unit!!!).
Whats your time worth? I'd say the hassle for install & cabling complexity would be a PITA & not worth it overall.

But yeah 5k's are great in my experience.

Do the fans plug straight into the inverter, do they have headers like you have on a computer motherboard? Or do you need to wire them up to a separate supply?
Need a PSU - use this:
Vigortronix
VTX-214-005-112
VTX-214-PCB1

You can just put that inside the unit - double sided tape to stick it on the isolator switch works well. The wires then run out the grommets in the bottom nice & cleanly.
I did hook it up to the grid port - BUT, i'm about to change this.

I'll setup the generator port as a "smart port" & turn it on at 0 voltage/capacity, so its effectively always on if there's battery.
Saves wiring up a small thin cable with a 6mm grid cable.

Are all units going onto a single phase of power? i.e. in parallel?
I'd probably go the 8k units - much more simple to install, less space required (check the specs - 500mm between each unit!!!).
Whats your time worth? I'd say the hassle for install & cabling complexity would be a PITA & not worth it overall.

But yeah 5k's are great in my experience.
Yeh, all on a single phase.

I have seen the manual requiring 500mm between each unit, and I don't plan on fully complying with that. I will be having about 300mm spacing between them. That was one of the reasons I was leaning towards the 5k units as they rely on natural cooling, I.e the air will be moving from the bottom to the top through the heatsink fins on the back, so there shouldn't be any issues cause by having them closer. Whereas the 8k units have side firing fans, which are going to blow warm air towards the neighboring unit...

Yeh, all on a single phase.

I have seen the manual requiring 500mm between each unit, and I don't plan on fully complying with that. I will be having about 300mm spacing between them. That was one of the reasons I was leaning towards the 5k units as they rely on natural cooling, I.e the air will be moving from the bottom to the top through the heatsink fins on the back, so there shouldn't be any issues cause by having them closer. Whereas the 8k units have side firing fans, which are going to blow warm air towards the neighboring unit...
Yeah I dont seen an issue brining them down to 300 at all, as the cooling is done vertically on the units - just watch the cabling issues maybe.

Parallel on a single phase - i think you'll have to link them, which means the state & configuration across all of them will be sync'd.
i.e. you configure 1 unit & that config goes to all, if you turn off one unit - all of them turn off! Super important on the load port if you're using it like a UPS!

I havent used multiple on a single phase myself, but shouldnt be too much of an issue.
I dont see any issues going multilple 5's instead of the 8.

Hi, sorry if this is hijacking.
Just commissioned a SUN-5K-SG03LP1 for a friend.
Got most of it working, including wifi :D Realtime updates? every 10mins better than nothing I guess.
48v 250Ah PB battery bank.

Can the unit discharge to the grid connection? or only to the load?

Thanks in advance :)

Got most of it working, including wifi :D Realtime updates? every 10mins better than nothing I guess.

This is an AU thread & looks like you're in NZ... so we'll give you some schtick, but welcome you nonetheless - our beached as brew.

By discharge - do you mean offset grid consumption, or actually just blindly feed in an amount of power?
You can:
zero export to load - which only provides power to the backup load port
Zero export to CT - provides power to backup load port & feeds back into the grid to offset usage, done via CT
Selling first - sells solar back to grid, and can sell battery back to grid, just set a max power output & voltages/% for battery levels

I hope you are an electrician and/or had it inspected by an inspector.
You will also probably need approval from your distribution company before you can power it up.
And because this inverter is not on the CEC approved list (yet) your distribution company might need some additional information and might decline your request.

I'm currently waiting for these inverters to be approved so I can order and install them here in the Bay of Plenty.

Back