diy solar

diy solar

Batteries and Heaters

ebelew

In my old (automotive) days I was taught to keep batteries away from things hot like heaters and open flames. Mainly because they were open lead acid batteries and the fumes they release were flammable. With the advent of sealed, AGM and LiFePO4 batteries should this still be the rule?

My 24x24 building has a gas heater in it and I was wondering how close (or if) to the heater I can get to keep my LiFePO4 batteries warm.

Last edited:
Good news we just had a 20 page debate over this.

Footnotes:

1. Lifepo4 does not vent any gases in regular operation, and in most installs, will not ever fail in a way that results in venting.

2. In catastrophic conditions, under short or BMS failure, they can bloat and pop, venting hydrogen and other flammable gases.

3. Most installs do not make provisions for venting these gases, considering it too rare of a possibility to plan for.

4. UL certification tests may specify the smallest size room they are recommended for install in.

5. If you have a venting event, people will both blame the water heater and you for installing near a water heater.

My batteries are going in by the water heater and I'm adding vents, but they are very DIY and would not pass inspections.

Good news we just had a 20 page debate over this.

Footnotes:

1. Lifepo4 does not vent any gases in regular operation, and in most installs, will not ever fail in a way that results in venting.

2. In catastrophic conditions, under short or BMS failure, they can bloat and pop, venting hydrogen and other flammable gases.

3. Most installs do not make provisions for venting these gases, considering it too rare of a possibility to plan for.

4. UL certification tests may specify the smallest size room they are recommended for install in.

5. If you have a venting event, people will both blame the water heater and you for installing near a water heater.

My batteries are going in by the water heater and I'm adding vents, but they are very DIY and would not pass inspections.
Thanks. I call myself searching for the solutions. I didn't find the 20 page debate. Hate I missed it.

Back