diy solar

diy solar

Battery Boxes

Not sure if you are replying to me, but rough cut straight from the mill is green so it needs about a year per inch to air dry.

We actually have both. Amish saw mills that cut rough hardwood (usually pallet material but you can place an order for anything) and lumber yards that sell regular dimensional construction materials at low prices.

Plywood makes much more sense for something like this. I used 5-6 ply birch (not Baltic birch which is now close to unattanium) but construction grade would work ok too.

I tried straight pocket holes for this. Not quite strong enough so you see the counter sinked wood screws on the edges that I added after the fact.

I suppose if one really wanted to go above and beyond, box jointed hardwood would be neat, but I lined my boxes with 1/4 inch rubber floor mat material (for both electrical resistance and as part of cell compression) and would want to negate movement.

You can see the lining here:

View attachment 165892
I feel so lucky able to find a local yard that carries true 5x5 sheets of BB plywood, 1/2 (12mm) and 3/4 (18mm). Picked some up in 2021 hopefully they still have stock and prices havent skyrocketed.

Ouch I just checked, 18mm grade B/BB is $135, I think it was around $90 when I bought it.

I used the 1/2ply for my 2P4S soon to be 8S build in a block configuration.

Last edited:
Or a track saw; preferably outfitted with TSO parallel clamps and other jigs. My joints are too old to be wrestling 4x8 sheets of 3/4 on a table saw. I like it so much I am going to build a dedicated track saw bench that will have dogs and a track hinge.

View attachment 165874
I did try to find ready made solutions, but I had painted myself into a corner with sizing.

View attachment 165876
This give me an idea... I could make my box out of 1/4 Aluminum and line it with rubber... hmmmm....

I started building a wood box but now I'm interested in a diy box so it looks more pro encase of inspection

Back