diy solar

diy solar

Battery Charger - 20-40AMP 2-bank for a boat project

Swamplizard

Ready to unplug and wander the USA
My 20-year old 50AMP 3 Bank charger gave up the ghost last week so I am looking to re-swizzle things on the Boat....add capacity and lose some dead weight.

Each motor has it's own sealed acid starter battery and I am converting my "House" battery bank from multiple 6V Lead Acid pigs to LIFEPO4s. House powers things like 1500 watt inverter for small A/C, small microwave, 12v water pump (shower/sink), an amplifier for tunes, and some 12volt lights.

In a perfect world I would have a 3 Bank charger that can handle Lead Acids and LIFEPO4s. I also plan on using a 100Watt solar panel and my MPPT to also charge the House Bank ... when in Florida, take advantage of the Rays!

Any cost effective Chargers you folks can recommend?

Should I just get a single bank LIFEPO4 charger and keep the other batts isolated? I have two of those blue "bricks" which are supposed to isolate one battery from another yet charge both....not sure how to rig it up.

It will be in a dry closet so does not need to be 100% water proof.

Thanks!

Before you go to the Lifepo batteries you need to understand the effects on your alternator some additional equipment is needed or different alternator

get a charger for the Lifepo like the victron units and put a separate maintainer on the start battery

Back