diy solar

diy solar

Battery Charging

threepets

I want to charge my batteries off the grid at night. Can I connect the battery charger to the system at the Buss bars20240110_152144.jpg20240110_152038.jpg

Yes, you can add a charger and feed charging current directly to the battery (at the buss) as long as it's a proper charger for you're battery chemistry. And then power the charger from the grid (or generator). This can occur any time - even in parallel with PV charging current (during the day) if you wish as long as you don't provide more (overall) charging current than the batteries can handle.

Is the bus bar between the fuse and the battery? The fuse should be closest thing to the battery. Assuming the battery(s) is LiFePO4 because that looks like a class T fuse.

Is the bus bar between the fuse and the battery? The fuse should be closest thing to the battery. Assuming the battery(s) is LiFePO4 because that looks like a class T fuse.
Hi, There are 2 - T class fuses, one in the battery box (at the top on the positive 4/0 cable) and one just before the inverter... too much?
20240112_144136.jpg20240112_144117.jpg20240110_152038.jpg

Last edited:
The battery should have BREAKER for over current protection, it will be enough to protect your system. but, MUST BE A BI-DIRECTIONAL DC Break, some battery supplier use AC breaker, and it will have huge delay to trip under over-current fault. and then, need a FUSE.

Note, The most DC breaker is the uni-directional, but, the breaker of battery pack should be bi-directional because charge/discharge (bi-direction), when use uni-directional breaker reversely, it can not cool-down arc while breaker is breaking a power under load, can cause a fire. to avoid the directional issue, the pack maker use an AC breaker. there are two issue, the arc from DC is much stronger than AC, breaker may not cool-down it and cause a fire. and, over-current fault is relay on the heating & bi-metal switching, it is delaying the breaking speed.

Back