diy solar

diy solar

Battery DC DC Charger install

Tedski

So I recently installed 100AH Renogy battery, DC to DC Charger and a battery monitor gauge. I believe I installed everything correctly. I have very limited electrical knowledge but I do know what the monitor is telling me. One thing I noticed, even though the there is only minimal AH consumed by things, (monitor shows 98% or 99 AH available) is the charger comes on as soon as I start the engine ( Obviously the small red control wire, as instructed, is connect into the ignition circuit) and the battery monitor starts blinking indicating charging is in progress . So the battery has been at 100% for the past three weeks. Question 1: Is this proper? Question 2: Since I believe I read it's better to discharge the battery to, lets say, 11.5 volts or 75 AH, before you recharge. If this is correct it seems it isn't going to happen unless I hook up a something that draws say 400 watts or so and run it till the 11.5 volt number is reached? Is that what you guys do? Question 3: I see some people have placed an in line switch in the DC DC control line. This obviously stops the charger form coming on, and over time it'll reduces voltage to the magic 11.5 volt number. So is the reason for the switch? Last Question 4: If a switch is installed, are there any ramification of switching it on and/or off while the engine (and alternator) is running. I'm thinking it's not good sending 40 amps from out in the blue all at once into the system.
Man I can't wait to see how many people think I'm crazy! But, if you don't ask you don't know.
HAGD

Back