diy solar

diy solar

Help with wiring up Inverter/Charger, battery, DC->DC, etc (all victron)

beowulf

Hey all,

So I think I have the gist of all this but wanted to get some assurance.

I have a 48/3000 MK2 Victron (the one with the green spring connectors). I am building 2 48v 74ah (LEV60 Jehu rack batteries) with only 1 about ready to be wired up.. second one down the road. I have the Cerbo GX, and a 48v to 24v DC to DC inverter. I bought that last one to charge my Ecoflow River 2 Pro whcih has a max input of 50v, so need to step down the up to 53 or so v from battery down to 24v to ensure I dont blow out the PV input max of 50v on the River 2 pro.

First things first.. I bought a 12gauge AC plug with pigtail.. so has the typical NEMA 5-15 white/green/black wires. That is to plug it in to an AC outlet to be used to charge the batteries in off peak hours. The hope is I can program the unit to only use AC input from 11pm to 9am (off peak hours) OR if the battery dips below 20%.. to keep it topped off.. as I want to maximize the longevity of the LEV60 LFP batteries by keeping them between 20% and 80%. Maybe 90%.. not sure yet if that is OK with this LEV60 or if 80% is better.

Next up I have 2 gauge copper wire, 5 feet of each. Not sure that's long enough though.. but originally was wondering if I should be buying one of those Victron distributors LYnx units to run from battery to that, then from that to the DC/DC inverter (then to the inputs on the River 2 Pro), and also to the battery. OR can I bypass the Lynx distributor thing for now and run this wire from the inverter directly to the pos/neg of the battery.

So.. wiring.. I believe I wire up the Cerbo GX with the cat 5 network cable, not sure about power yet though.

Inverter/Charger to battery.. as I said above, is it better to use a Lynx distributor? As of now I have 0 solar input and MPTT to use. I plan to eventually but right now the only way for me to charge is via AC (which presently is just a 15amp circuit).

If I only wire form inverter/charger directly to battery with 2awg wire, do I then run from battery to the DC/DC inverter as well? Or should I just get the Lynx distributor, and run the DC/DC to that, along with the battery to the inverter/charger thru the lynx as well?

All of this is running in my office.. it's a long story as to why its all there, but TL;DR is I basically live in this one room 24/7 most days, as I WFH and run 2 computer systems give.. though usually only 1. The main system is a 1500 watt PSU though I don't think it comes anywhere close to that much power usage. Maybe about 1/2 as I sized it to be double my potential max total need. The other system is 1000 watts and likewise is at most 700 watts under heavy load but likely less. I very rarely run both at the same time though if I did one would be running mostly idle (e.g. one is for gaming, the other would be mostly for web/video/etc stuff). But it would be rare I'd run both at same time. So I am stacking the inverter/charger on top of the battery case (I hope this is ok.. it's the only place I have for it right now).. both laying down. The server is made for that, not sure if the inverter/charger has to be upright.. I assume that wouldn't matter?

In terms of safety.. is there any issue with grabbing/moving the unit (gently) if need be from time to time.. not talking leaving it plugged in while relocating it.. but if I need to adjust the position a little bit, slide it over, etc.. is there any shock concern with touching the case while its plugged in and/or operating? Again something I would likely never do or very rarely but just wanted to understand the potential shock hazards given the thickness of the wires it has connected to it.

Saw a video on connecting AC input wire and it showed like a long bit of wire inside the box, looped around, etc. Is that necessary? It already has the strain relief units to bit down on the wires.. wasn't sure if you're supposed to .. for code maybe.. to have like 2" to 4" of extra wire inside the unit.. or if I can just feed it straight in with no extra wire (covered of course). Thought it was odd to have so much extra inside.. its already decently thick and hard to move around and out of the way for other wires that have to be in there as well.

Thank you.

Back