diy solar

diy solar

Battery Disconnect (Blue Sea 6010 or similar) for Solar Disconnect in RV?

Slappy

I'm looking for a low-profile solar disconnect between the panels and MPTT controller for my motorhome, and it seems like a dual-pole Blue Sea (or similar) battery disconnect would be just the ticket. However, the "standard" I usually see is dual-pole DIN breakers. I'd like to go with the disconnect since the panel where I'm mounting has fairly low clearance (it's perpendicular to a cabinet so anything larger than 1.6" would block the cabinet from opening) so a battery disconnect would just clear. I'd also like the simplest solution vs. trying to install a DIN rail in my cabinet.

My understanding is this would basically be for system service/convenience vs. wire protection, and I'd like to use a dual-pole disconnect vs. something like a thermal breaker since I may relocate my charge controller at some point. The dual pole setup would allow me to rewire downstream without having to mess with the wiring through the roof and to the panels.

Thanks for any advice!

IMO PV disconnects are built for the purpose.
I've seen the IMO units. The Mini looks perfect and fits my clearance concerns but doesn't seem to be available through any US distributors. I emailed IMO and they said they'd get back to me, but I was looking for a more readily sourced alternative.

This Beny switch has worked well for solar panel disconnect for years and din rail mount is optional (has mount holes), but larger than 1.6".

Attachments

• Beny DC-Switch-BYSS-Series-TUV-Solar Switch Specs.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back