diy solar

diy solar

PV Disconnect types

48Rob

I am refining my PV wiring plan and need direction regarding the PV disconnect switch.
In my area, I am under 2008 NEC. No permits, no inspections, and as I understand it, no requirement for a rapid shutdown system.

I will have 2 separate array systems, 4 cables, plus ground running in 1.25" EMT with waterproof compression fittings, from the roof down to the 4 pole PV disconnect on the side of the detached garage. The EMT will then enter the garage and terminate at the dual MPPTs 6' inside the building in a steel cabinet.

It appears the go to disconnect, is the plastic enclosure, with glands, or drilled out to accept conduit fittings.
As I am running steel conduit, I don't want to put a plastic box inline, then run smaller conduit to, and from the disconnect.

Is using a steel exterior box, such as a type 3, or 3R with a DIN rail inside to mount a switch, or using a modular switch as in the photo, a common way to solve this issue, without going to the extreme of using a multi hundreds of dollars DC rated throw switch?

Attachments

• si32-pel64r-2.png
    si32-pel64r-2.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 7
  • SL16-DBL-4.jpg
    SL16-DBL-4.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 7
Code requires that disconnects be operable without exposing the operator to live parts so a switch mounted inside a box would no be acceptable, without using an enclosure that provides a cover or dead front over any contacts. One option is to use a switch that extends the control to the outside of the enclosure, or mounts to the front of the enclosure. I've attached 2 examples from IMO:

Attachments

• SI55-PM64R-4_main-1.jpg
    SI55-PM64R-4_main-1.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 11
  • SI55-BMDC64R-4_main-1.jpg
    SI55-BMDC64R-4_main-1.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 12
Hwy 17,

Thanks. That box/switch is almost perfect, just really expensive.. and I need a 4 pole.

Or maybe I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be...
Maybe use a steel junction box, and mount the plastic disconnect in it?

Back