diy solar

diy solar

600VDC PV Disconnect - Switching of both +ive and -ive required ?

ElectricIslander

Solar Enthusiast
We have two strings of nine panels coming to make a total of 18 420WAA Pure R REC panels for a rooftop array that will be connected to a 100A 600V Schneider Charge controller. Each string operates at NOTC at almost 500 V and around 7 amps, so combined would make 14 amps.

There will be four 10AWG wires coming down of the roof in 1" EMT (two +ives and two -ives) and the idea is to have a PV disconnect switch on the back wall of the cabin. The PV wire continues in conduit off to a fire resistant powerhouse with batteries and inverter and generators in separate rooms about 100 feet away from the cabin. As we are in a rural area, installation will be uninspected, but generally up to code.

Although the controller is single channel and has terminals on it's inputs to allow combining strings at the inputs, I wanted to not combine the two strings on the roof but instead combine them in the PV disconnect box so that I can conveniently put a DC clamp meter on each string to see how the two are performing relative to each other.

An external PV disconnect is required since the Schneider Mini-PDD we are using isn't rated for 600V. My installer has one of the Schneider Square D H261 Safety Switches seen in the photo, which is a three pole fused disconnect switch rated for 600VDC and 30 Amps. The initial suggestion was to use two of it's poles as the PV disconnects for each positive side and just pass the negative sides through the box.

On reflection though, it seems for safety I might need two PV disconnect switches so I could disconnect both the +ive and -ive on both strings? So we would have a disconnect switch for each string. Anybody know if I need to switch both +ive and -ive or could get by with just one switch on only the positive wires of the two strings?

Or I could combine in the switch box with enough of a loop to access the cables for both strings before the switch and use the two poles for +ive and -ive after they combine.

The rational is that with 600VDC an arc could start to ground from either +ive or -ive (I don't know if the Schneider floats the PV input or references -ive to something near ground potential??). The CC manual just says that a disconnect is required, doesn't say if both positive and negative need to be switched.

Just wanting to be super safe given almost 600VDC in a seaside location. Using fully tinned PV wire and all Stäubli connectors with proper MC4 crimpers.

Attachments

• SquareD-H-261-FusibleSafetySwitch.jpg
    SquareD-H-261-FusibleSafetySwitch.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 19
I was told in the Canadian Electrical Code both PV DC 'current carrying conductors' need to be switched, the switch needs to be DC rated, in a metal box, the disconnection needs to be 'visually verifiable' and the box needs to be locked or opened only with use of tools.
I was also told the exterior box doesn't need to be fused, as long as I had a fused disconnect inside next to the inverters (which I do).
Thought this might help.

Also, since you mention - Roof mounted,
CEC requires any roof mounted solar PV to be AFDD (arc fault detection and disconnect) and RSD (rapid shut down).
Depending on what inverter you have, these features may be supported in the Inverter, and you may need PV panel level disconnects like the Tigo units, "within 1 meter of the array perimeter". - just a note so you know.
CEC code references are section 64-216 for Arc Fault
64-218 for Rapid Shut Down

This model
Square D 600V DC Disconnect Switch - 60A, 3-Pole, NEMA 3R (HU362RB)
Has a bulletin that says you can switch 1 conductor with ground fault protection. The XW mppt 100 600 has ground fault Protection

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240325_213737_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325_213737_Samsung Notes.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 8
Interesting and useful comments ......

I just found the diagram below in the Conext MPPT 100-600 Install Manual that shows switching of positive leads only. This is for a two string array.

I'd think that fusing and switching both leads would be better though.

This diagram brings up another point though - Array grounding. The controller install manual talks about three configurations:

1) Negative Array Grounding
2) Positive Array Grounding
3) Floating Array

I'd think that option 1) Negative array grounding is the most common?

Hmmmm?

1711485273712.png

By the way, this is an off-grid, DC coupled system.

So typically panel frames and charge controller chassis are grounded to the house ground, but PV array positive and array negative lines are left floating?

I think that the 1 amp 600 V fuse shown in diagram is in the ground fault circuit because the charge controller manual says use no fuse if array ungrounded, put fuse in correct holder for either positive or negative ground.

So typically panel frames and charge controller chassis are grounded to the house ground, but PV array positive and array negative lines are left floating?
Correct
I think that the 1 amp 600 V fuse shown in diagram is in the ground fault circuit because the charge controller manual says use no fuse if array ungrounded, put fuse in correct holder for either positive or negative ground.
Also correct

We have two strings of nine panels coming to make a total of 18 420WAA Pure R REC panels for a rooftop array that will be connected to a 100A 600V Schneider Charge controller. Each string operates at NOTC at almost 500 V and around 7 amps, so combined would make 14 amps.

There will be four 10AWG wires coming down of the roof in 1" EMT (two +ives and two -ives) and the idea is to have a PV disconnect switch on the back wall of the cabin. The PV wire continues in conduit off to a fire resistant powerhouse with batteries and inverter and generators in separate rooms about 100 feet away from the cabin. As we are in a rural area, installation will be uninspected, but generally up to code.

Although the controller is single channel and has terminals on it's inputs to allow combining strings at the inputs, I wanted to not combine the two strings on the roof but instead combine them in the PV disconnect box so that I can conveniently put a DC clamp meter on each string to see how the two are performing relative to each other.

An external PV disconnect is required since the Schneider Mini-PDD we are using isn't rated for 600V. My installer has one of the Schneider Square D H261 Safety Switches seen in the photo, which is a three pole fused disconnect switch rated for 600VDC and 30 Amps. The initial suggestion was to use two of it's poles as the PV disconnects for each positive side and just pass the negative sides through the box.

On reflection though, it seems for safety I might need two PV disconnect switches so I could disconnect both the +ive and -ive on both strings? So we would have a disconnect switch for each string. Anybody know if I need to switch both +ive and -ive or could get by with just one switch on only the positive wires of the two strings?

Or I could combine in the switch box with enough of a loop to access the cables for both strings before the switch and use the two poles for +ive and -ive after they combine.

The rational is that with 600VDC an arc could start to ground from either +ive or -ive (I don't know if the Schneider floats the PV input or references -ive to something near ground potential??). The CC manual just says that a disconnect is required, doesn't say if both positive and negative need to be switched.

Just wanting to be super safe given almost 600VDC in a seaside location. Using fully tinned PV wire and all Stäubli connectors with proper MC4 crimpers.

I see that square D Disconnect you have there.
I am not sure its rated for DC at 600 volt

There was a rule ( would need to check a current code book ) that said both negative and possessive leads had to be fused or one grounded.
Both required a disconnect means of not grounded before disconnect.

Not sure this meets code anymore...
I used to run the positive threw two phases of a KD breaker and the negative the remaining phase but that was on a 100 volt battery pack.
I believe a HKD breaker was only rated for 250Vcd ( 600AC )

Last edited:
I like to have both PV+ and PV- disconnected before working on wiring.
How about bringing down the 4 wires, combining them on input to switch so 2 poles can disconnect + and -.
You can open the box to put a clamp meter there for comparison.

I have a rotary disconnect on my inverters (after combiner), touch-safe fuse holders on + and - in a combiner for some inverters (touch save inside switch box for other models.) After interrupting current I open fuse holders to work downstream, or disconnect MC connectors to work on other side of fuse holders.

I see that fused Disconnect you have there.
I am not sure its rated for DC at 600 volt

My thought too, thought only unfused was 600V "heavy duty". But the part number he gave is fused 600V AC/DC.

Reactions: DPC
There was a rule ( would need to check a current code book ) that said both negative and possessive leads had to be fused or one grounded.
Both required a disconnect means of not grounded before disconnect.

Not sure this meets code anymore...
from my own experience:
only one needs to be fused - I chose pos,
neither are tied to ground - not required by 2021 CEC, many inverters specifically show Do Not tie neg PV to ground conductors.
PV frames/metalic racking needs to connect to the common ground system. Best to do this with the main cabin ground not separate earth-electrode at the array - OP says roof-mounted PV so this should not be an issue.

Under extra low voltage rules you may not need to fuse both lead and disconnect both leads.

I work at a little high voltages, and larger electric equipment, might be subject to different rules...

IMG_0329.JPG

Yes - Electric battery locis! A bit bigger than the ones I worked on.

I've driven old ore battery powered ore trains underground many moons ago - lotsa fun when they derail in the muck ...... Not much solar underground though.

We were remediating the old abandoned Tulsequah mine in northern BC - during the winter there was no one there and no generator power so we ran our enviro gear on a water baby turbine dynamo driven by high pressure water from overhead drillhole that made water continuously.

Yes - Electric battery locis! A bit bigger than the ones I worked on.
I never met a man that ran electric that wanted to use Diesel.
But most companies unless constrained by emissions and ventilation rules abandoned them years ago.
I loved them.
I was the last electricians who was qualified a motorman, and switchman be for the last unit was retired.
And I think I was the last guy to wire a coffee pot to battery pack in the dark lol.

Those pure lead acid battery ones were just the little guys.
The ones I really miss were the 28 ton Claytons, with the overhead 250v trolley lines.
No photos im afraid...

But A lot of people used to come to the nickle city to see these guys.
They were 2200 volt 25 cycle single phase ( figure that out lol )
1711796850189.jpeg

Tech advanced.
The 90s the NiCad era
1711796357012.jpeg

The Lithium era has begun
Even the LHDs are going back to electric.
1711796909737.jpeg

Its a challenge the older stuff was much easier to work on

Present day mining world is moving to electric / autonomous quickly - much faster than construction industry for example.

I keep reflecting on how much rechargeable tools have accelerated my carpentry projects. Granddad built his house out of lumber he salvaged from a collapsed exhibition hall using a horse drawn milk cart. He hauled it across town and then built the house with a handsaw.

Things have really changed!

Setup the HVCC for Negative Array Grounding and only open the positive via the disconnect (HU361RB) and add two spds.

Why negative grounding? Others have said that floating arrays are more common nowadays. Are you doing this with your own HVCC (High Voltage Charge Controller)?

Interesting point about possibly using two spds ....

Back