diy solar

diy solar

Battery/Inverter backup for well pump recomendations needed

WilliamC

We have a small cabin where we experience frequent power outages. I have almost everything covered except the water situation. Power goes out, No water.
Not sure about the exact pump specifications, but I can safely assume less than 800 Watts, or 3.5 amps not counting starting load.
Would like recommendations on components to power the well. Needs to be 120v and 240v output. for battery voltage I'm thinking 24vdc or 48vdc. leaning towards 24vdc. I like the all in one concept of a combined inverter charger, but am open to ideas.
Expanding into solar is a future plan.
I also need recommendations on Battery type
This system will remain plugged in and probably only be used when the power goes out.
So I don't anticipate frequent cycling except when the power is out.
Been watching with interest the vids on building my own LifePo4 battery.
Is there a do everything BMS that has the low voltage cutoff, and High voltage cutoff and sensing and temperature cutoff and balancing and anything else one can think of in a BMS?
Im researching all of this slowly but its hard not to be swamped in marketing language, or to know what is being hyped and what is being left unsaid.
know what I mean?

Welcome to the forum.
Tip One: Never ASSume, 90% of the time ASSumption make an ASS out of the assumer. Avoid that, speaking from years of exp.
I'm an offgrid Cabineer in North Eastern Ontario Canada by Algonquin Park.

2060 Watts of panel, Midnite Classic 200 Solar Controller, Midnite MNDC250 E-Panel, Samlex 4024 Inverter/Charger, presently with 22Kw / 856AH of Deep Cycle Lead Acid (only 50% useable because it's lead) in process of transition to LifePo4 21.8Kwh / 910AH battery bank.

Links in my signature to my system, to the Midnite Controllers, the Samlex Inverter / Charger and more.

I have a DEEP Well at 260' into banded granite, I use a Grundfos SQ-5 Soft Start 120VAC deep well pump. It has to pump to the pumphouse which has a 50 Gallon pressure tank, then another 75' to the "Cabin". Set for 45PSI I never ever notice the pressure drop or when the pump kicks on and that is with running through a 2 stage filtering system. The maximum wattage my pump demands is 1100 watts when reaching max pressure, when t starts up, it starts at 400W and then stages up, NO DEMAND SURGES ! Many pumps can have a "Soft Start" module added as a replacement part to eliminate massive surges.

REF: https://ca.grundfos.com/products/find-product/sq.html

We have a small cabin where we experience frequent power outages. I have almost everything covered except the water situation. Power goes out, No water.
Not sure about the exact pump specifications, but I can safely assume less than 800 Watts, or 3.5 amps not counting starting load.
Would like recommendations on components to power the well. Needs to be 120v and 240v output. for battery voltage I'm thinking 24vdc or 48vdc. leaning towards 24vdc. I like the all in one concept of a combined inverter charger, but am open to ideas.
Expanding into solar is a future plan.
I also need recommendations on Battery type
This system will remain plugged in and probably only be used when the power goes out.
So I don't anticipate frequent cycling except when the power is out.
Been watching with interest the vids on building my own LifePo4 battery.
Is there a do everything BMS that has the low voltage cutoff, and High voltage cutoff and sensing and temperature cutoff and balancing and anything else one can think of in a BMS?
Im researching all of this slowly but its hard not to be swamped in marketing language, or to know what is being hyped and what is being left unsaid.
know what I mean?

I have 48v magnum inverter and 100a magnum controller, and it supplies hydro to part of my house, without any issues. Washer, gas dryer, 2 freezer, fridge, well pump 1500 watts on 220, living room, micro wave, anyways if you've got the panels you have a lot more power than with a 24 volt system. My array is close to 6 kw, so during the sunny days you are able to do a lot. During the night I'm limited to the battery size, I produce 25kw to 32 kwh a day. (Sunny day).

I also own a 24v magnum inverter set up in the garage and I am very limited, due to the size of your charge controller you can only have half the pv array. So you have to add two,three controllers to make up.

Price average ms4448pae 2600 cad, ms4024pae 2450 cad, so ~ 200$ difference.

My

Welcome to the forum.
Tip One: Never ASSume, 90% of the time ASSumption make an ASS out of the assumer. Avoid that, speaking from years of exp.
I'm an offgrid Cabineer in North Eastern Ontario Canada by Algonquin Park.

2060 Watts of panel, Midnite Classic 200 Solar Controller, Midnite MNDC250 E-Panel, Samlex 4024 Inverter/Charger, presently with 22Kw / 856AH of Deep Cycle Lead Acid (only 50% useable because it's lead) in process of transition to LifePo4 21.8Kwh / 910AH battery bank.

Links in my signature to my system, to the Midnite Controllers, the Samlex Inverter / Charger and more.

I have a DEEP Well at 260' into banded granite, I use a Grundfos SQ-5 Soft Start 120VAC deep well pump. It has to pump to the pumphouse which has a 50 Gallon pressure tank, then another 75' to the "Cabin". Set for 45PSI I never ever notice the pressure drop or when the pump kicks on and that is with running through a 2 stage filtering system. The maximum wattage my pump demands is 1100 watts when reaching max pressure, when t starts up, it starts at 400W and then stages up, NO DEMAND SURGES ! Many pumps can have a "Soft Start" module added as a replacement part to eliminate massive surges.

REF: https://ca.grundfos.com/products/find-product/sq.html
I'm building a series of micro cabins and am trying to figure the water design out as well. Is there any reason a Grundfos like yours couldn't be placed in a holding tank (for rainwater harvesting) rather than in a deep well?
You mentioned the advantages of the soft start, and the associated wattages, but what are we talking about in daily totals? How much does that pump run daily, do you think, to keep that pressure tank going?

I'm building a series of micro cabins and am trying to figure the water design out as well. Is there any reason a Grundfos like yours couldn't be placed in a holding tank (for rainwater harvesting) rather than in a deep well?
You mentioned the advantages of the soft start, and the associated wattages, but what are we talking about in daily totals? How much does that pump run daily, do you think, to keep that pressure tank going?
My water usage is not the same as the guy down the road or the other up the line... So how often my pump runs and what is uses is relative to my water use. The SQ's are deep well pumps, there are other soft-start pumps more suitable for your application and likely lower power usage as well... takes a lot to push water up hundreds of feet.

diy solar

diy solar
Back