diy solar

diy solar

Battery not being woken from idle

RavingEngineer

Hello,

I have noticed an issue with my setup and can not fathom what is causing it (or most likely (which setting I have incorrectly specified).

My set up is 2x 3.2kWh solar arrays (east and west), using a Solis S5-EHIP3.6K-L inverter and 4x Pylon US2000 batteries.

I initially had it set to self use with no charging from the grid, not noticing any problems (but SOC did not exceed ~60%).

After moving to Octopus Agile, I set up night time charging from the grid between 3am and 5am, and removed the discharging time window (as per online videos).

I then noticed, that when the batteries were reaching a SOC of 90%+, and demand was put on them, they would not meet it.
Typically a 10W output would be seen and the battery would no longer charge or discharge regardless of load / solar generation. (I think this is the idle mode)
If I was to turn the batteries and invertor off, then on again, the batteries would immediately start meeting the load and continue as normal until charged beyond 90%+ again.

I have done some digging online, but cant really find any solutions, other than the theory that the Solis invertor is failing to wake the batteries from idle.

I have since removed the charging from grid, but we have not had enough sun yet to charge the batteries past 90%, so I do not know if this changes anything.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I've got almost exactly the same setup (solis RHI-6K-48ES-5G, 4x Pylontech US2000C batteries), installed for 3 weeks now. I charge for 2 hours at cheap rate overnight

The exact same issue has emerged only over the last 2 nights. The only thing I can think that has been different last 2 nights is that for the first time when charging from grid the batteries have actually been reaching full charge, but, same as you, the batteries seem to be entering idle mode and the inverter is not waking them up when needed.

I've tried to set a "discharge" schedule immediately after the 2 hour charge period, but this didnt work and the only solution I've found is to perform a manual wake-up of the batteries. So like you RE, I'd appeal to anyone for suggestions please.

I have someone coming in to update the battery software this month. I shall update you if that resolves the problem.

I believe the 'discharge' is solely for exporting stored energy to the grid and does not impact on self use.

I have someone coming in to update the battery software this month. I shall update you if that resolves the problem.

I believe the 'discharge' is solely for exporting stored energy to the grid and does not impact on self use.
Yes, doing the discharge was a (failed) shot in the dark to see if it would somehow wake the battery up.

With a 2 hour charge from the grid my batteries haven't hit full charge again so far, but they have done during the day charging from PV, on which occasion the batteries didn't go into idle - so the indication is that this is only happening when charging from grid.

Please do post here if your battery software update cures this (or indeed if you find anything else that does), as I'm still drawing a blank on this.

The battery software update did not resolve the problem.
The next stage was to raise a ticket with Solis to have the firmware updated. I am pleased to say that this fixed the problem and the system is now charging to full and discharging without issue.

I would recommend getting onto Solis for a remote firmware update.

The battery software update did not resolve the problem.
The next stage was to raise a ticket with Solis to have the firmware updated. I am pleased to say that this fixed the problem and the system is now charging to full and discharging without issue.

I would recommend getting onto Solis for a remote firmware update.
Thanks. I've not encountered the issue again but I've not (knowingly) fully charged my batteries overnight since I saw it, at least good to know there is a way forward if there is a persistent fault.
Do you happen to know what firmware version you are now on, and what it was previously?

diy solar

diy solar
Back