diy solar

diy solar

Battery slowly discharging, limited by charge controller

superjagger

Hi all,

I have an odd issue where my battery discharges, even with full sun. The problem only occurs when the inverter is under load (think an average of a constant 100 watts).

The charge controller seems to not supply enough amperage to the battery when the inverter is on in order to keep the battery topped up. Once I shut the inverter off, the charge controller is able to charge the battery to full fine.

This AM I was pulling 75 watts constant off the inverter, yet my charge controller was only allowing ~3amps to the battery (3x13.8 = 41.4 watts) not nearly enough to avoid pulling from the battery bank.

I've seen this same system charge at 10+ amps when not under load.

Inverter and Charge controller are wired directly to the battery, separately. (Inverter 6 AWG - Good till ~575 watts) (CC using 10 AWG, good for 20 amps)

There is a considerable distance to travel the CC is approximately 50 feet from the battery. Inverter is on a 2ft cable.

Do I just have a crap CC? Any suggestions/ info welcome. I'm looking to learn more and improve my setup.

Thanks,
J

I should add, I start my day with 13.8 volts, a full charge with a static charge, and after 9 hours of running a load I have 11.5volts.
I have 220 usable watts as input right now, under full sun conditions.

After reading around the forum, I'm going to try moving the CC right next to the battery to rule out voltage drop as the issue.

Moved the CC closer, RESOLVED the issue.
Battery reaches 100% throughout the day as loads change/sun exposure changes - AS EXPECTED!

Back