diy solar

diy solar

Bedlift motor & 12 volt transformer

jantje80

Hello,

I hope someone could help out.
I'm upgrading my electrical system to 24 volt instead of 12 volt. I have a bedlift (lippert) that doesn't accept 12v, so I will be installing a 24v to 12 volt transformer for this motor and some other things which only accept 12v.

The manufacturer says the bedlift motor could produce some electricity when lowering the bed, the transformer might not be able to handle. In the old situation it would just charge the battery a little.
How bad would that be?

I got a diagram a couldn't figure out (it's Italian and shows items I don't recognise) I have to do something between the wires that control the bed going up and down.

Does anyone know a solution, how to manage the electricity produced by the motor?

My backup is just connecting the bed to the battery of the van, but I rather use my household battery.

Attachments

• Shunt.png
    Shunt.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 11
Hello,

I hope someone could help out.
I'm upgrading my electrical system to 24 volt instead of 12 volt. I have a bedlift (lippert) that doesn't accept 12v, so I will be installing a 24v to 12 volt transformer for this motor and some other things which only accept 12v.

The manufacturer says the bedlift motor could produce some electricity when lowering the bed, the transformer might not be able to handle. In the old situation it would just charge the battery a little.
How bad would that be?

I got a diagram a couldn't figure out (it's Italian and shows items I don't recognise) I have to do something between the wires that control the bed going up and down.

Does anyone know a solution, how to manage the electricity produced by the motor?

My backup is just connecting the bed to the battery of the van, but I rather use my household battery.
In that situation, you would likely need the bed to have its own battery, and have a step down from the house setup keep it charged.

Hello,

I will be installing a 24v to 12 volt transformer for this motor and some other things which only accept 12v.
A transformer won't work with DC current, so is your 24V system DC or AC? More likely is DC, so you need a converter from 24V DC to 12V DC, I don't know if those converters will feed back from your motor.

The schematic is showing a couple of diodes on the +12V line that would prevent a back feed to the battery (DCDC converter) when lowering.

A transformer won't work with DC current, so is your 24V system DC or AC? More likely is DC, so you need a converter from 24V DC to 12V DC, I don't know if those converters will feed back from your motor.
All is DC, just a bigger battery from 12v to 24v.

The schematic is showing a couple of diodes on the +12V line that would prevent a back feed to the battery (DCDC converter) when lowering.
I only looked quick, but those diodes only insure correct polarity and operated the relays. The motors have direct connect. I still can't see a problem.

Those 2 diodes are just for the relay coils, not the motor. Already posted.

Last edited:
Back