diy solar

diy solar

Best method to connect an Anker 767 to an off-grid circuit

quadna71

I’m looking to power my shed/man cave with solar panels on the roof, a fully wired shed (lights, 4 duplex outlets, garage door opener, etc), a circuit breaker panel, and my Anker 767. Occasionally I use the 767 camping so having the mobility option of taking it with me and then plugging it back in when we return home is a great added benefit.

So when I make the connection between the 767 and the CB panel, would it be best to build a pigtail from the CB panel that terminates in the 30A RV plug and use that outlet on the 767? That seems to be the best way to send power out, but I’m hoping someone else may have done this already and can give me a thumbs up before I go that route.

Typically the 767 would need to power a battery tender 24/7 (very low draw) for my mower, power to the garage door opener for the occasional open/close cycle maybe twice a week, some LED lights over the two external doors (w/sensors to auto on at sunset), some internal lights for evening use, and to charge the batteries for my 60v lawncare tools. So very limited power draw on most days with the occasional larger draw on days when cutting grass or maybe working on a project in the evening at the work bench. I don’t foresee needing the extension battery but it’s always an option if I learn that I’m working the 767 too much.

Is there any power on the CB when the 767 is disconnected? If so, you have to be really careful about not creating a suicide cable.

Is there any power on the CB when the 767 is disconnected? If so, you have to be really careful about not creating a suicide cable.
I have a small work shed I treat like my RV. I have a 30A RV plug connected a small breaker box. It is pigtailed and is 10 feet long. been using it since the summer. I just have to haul to the house to charge back up. May throw a few panels on the she this coming year.

I only can power 120V circuits

I do not have the shed connected to the house in any way shape or form

Last edited:
I think I’ll have a main disconnect on the panel. That should sever any power from flowing back/forth and make the pigtail safe, right?

I have a small work shed I treat like my RV. I have a 20 RV plug connected a small breaker box. It is pigtailed and is 10 feet long. been using it since the summer. I just have to haul to the house to charge back up. May throw a few panels on the she this coming year.

I only can power 120V circuits

I do not have the shed connected to the house in any way shape or form
Seems similar to my setup. Thanks for sharing your situation. I too roll to the house occasionally to charge up - normally after a 12-hour smoke with my small pellet smoker. Once the panels are on the roof I figure it might be an indefinite system!

I think I’ll have a main disconnect on the panel. That should sever any power from flowing back/forth and make the pigtail safe, right?
You need an interlock, like a transfer switch. That way the grid and the 767 port can't both be connected at the same time. Also ensures you don't blow up the 767 with grid power.

If you have grid power, what's the point of connecting the 767? Panels connected to it?

I do not. no grid power on my system. my RV style plug hangs there. There is zero chance it will become a suicide cord. However, if you want to future proof the system, then a few dollars more now will make sense. In addition, as you are aware things are not getting cheaper. Like I mentioned previously, we do this with RVs all the time. A shed (or a camp) is no different if off grid. nice to be able to watch the foozball game on my 32" utilizing 165watts of portable storage :)

Like @Jbird2000 said - there is no grid to interfere. The shed is a stand alone entity with the only incoming source of power being the eventual panels on the roof.

Why would you need to connect to anything in a small shed with no grid connection? Just plug your lights and tools directly into the 767 for the sake of simplicity.

I want an outside light over the roll up, another over the man door, an outlet in the ceiling for the garage door opener, another in the wall to plug in the mower’s battery tender, and another at the workbench for the greenworks and dewalt battery chargers. Having the shed all wired to a panel simplifies things by having a single 30a plug out of the 767 to power everything. And then panels on the roof to keep the 767 charged up.

If you don't want a fixed cord to power your shed you might consider a inlet power, outlet. Such as pictured below. Simply wire from it to your distribution panel. You than use an extension cord whenever you plug in a power source.

Attachments

• 1704284706023.png
    1704284706023.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 2
That might a good idea for me. At least if I needed to run a cord from the house to the shed (if the battery is unavailable) I could run over and extension cord from my RV’s 30A plug on the side of the garage. Good temp solution. Thanks for the idea, @Mattb4

Back