diy solar

diy solar

Best method to connect solar gen inside RV at invertor/charge controller?

Tponaroll

I will be using a Bluetti AC200 and plugging in shore power directly to a 110v outlet on it. However when traveling I want the option to charge from the invertor 110v outlet in the house system. (Basically charging the Bluetti through the alternator when running down the road.)
Side note: I may need to upgrade the old invertor in the house, it's not pure sine and is only 400w. The Bluetti is rated at 410w from what I've seen. Afraid I'll kick the old invertor out for over voltage.
But original question... Where is the best connection point to the AC/DC fuse box/breaker panel? My concern being putting power back into the shore line when unused. Do I need to put a switch inline to bypass the shore line connection? (I don't want to spend the $ on a auto transfer switch) A manual switch wouldn't be a problem I'd switch it from outside shoreline power to inside Bluetti power. Just looking for the most efficient/safe way to power from the Bluetti inside or out and keep the system portable.
Clear as mud? :) Thanks in advance.

To keep the Bluetti from charging the RV battery when you plug it to shore power jack, flip the AC Circuit breaker for the AC to DC converter. I found mine pulled 700 watts. You don’t want your Bluetti providing that much power.

I really don’t think your Alternator provides that much power to charge your Blueti. If you look at the wire that goes from your alternator to your battery, that’s pretty thick, and the wire going to a travel trailer is not so thick, so I can only think that little wire just will not provide a constant 410 watt or greater power.

My 400 watt inverter trips if I hook it to the cigarette lighter, which is about as thick as trailer wiring. If I hook it directly to the battery it works. I guess my point is there’s probably not enough amps going into the battery in a travel trailer or fifth wheel to get enough charge into it.

400 watts will pull somewhere around 35 amps, and that is more than a typical alternator puts out at any given time. Different alternators like a 250 amp alternator, doesn’t constantly put out 250, but will probably provide enough juice for you to wire something from it to your Bluetti to enable charging for several hours.

I don’t know what that something will be, but Victron and a couple others make some charge controllers that are designed to run off an alternator that you could hook to your charging vehicle to get the voltage.

I'm in a class C RV. It has 6 gage wire running everything. Should carry a decent load. Just think I'm pushing the invertor limit. I don't know how forgiving the ac200 is with a modified sine power source, (variation in voltages) pure sine is for sure the way to go but I'm going to find a 400w load and see if it will handle it.

If you’re worried about the 6 AWG wire and what it can handle, try this : https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

For the AC200 and a modified sine wave, I’d not want to do that just because I’d be afraid of frying the electronics. What would trump that and make me feel safe is if it’d said it was OK in ann owners manual or if tech support responded to a request saying its OK. THe AC200 is pretty pricey. Don’t be surprised if the inverter doesn’t handle it because of surge rating not necessarily being 400 watts instead of 410. Certain devices require an inverter two to three times the wattage of the device. Air Conditioning is one of them and things like soft starts that spool up the compressor make it easier, but not sure how the AC200 would react to an inverter close to the rating.

I've got a pure sine replacement on the list. Not going to risk it.
Just want to try charging it while driving from A-B.

Back