diy solar

diy solar

Best way to wire an all-in-one for battery backup

dgeist

I'm looking at installing an all-in-one system rated for 200A passthrough in my home, initially just for limiting impact of frequent grid interruptions and occasional outages but later to include solar. I'm not interested in sell-back at the moment but it will be UL listed for anti-islanding, etc (and programmed not to back-feed). I also have a 150A service from 1970 (which is adequate for our needs but less than the 200A minimum our power company provides today. We also have no external fused shutoff and the line-side of the meter is embedded in the brick wall of the home (again things that are no-nos with current code but done safely and are in good working order.

If I connect the hybrid inverter just downstream of the meter base, I will be altering the portion the utility requires to be "only altered meeting/exceeding code". I can also connect the inverter downstream of the main panel between it and the majority of my loads (in a nearby large subpanel).

I know all of these options can be done safely but don't want to incur the wrath of the utility or my local city inspector or potentially be liable for an injury for someone doing grid work. Is a fusible disconnect generally required any time you have a potential power generating source downstream of the meter or does a hybrid inverter with automatic grid disconnect negate the need for that (per NEC)?

Dan

Back