diy solar

diy solar

18kpv wiring. simple question

josh2014

Been looking and finally found a few videos where the guy actually showed that he has his 18kpv "in series" with regards to the Meter -------> "Grid input" of 18kpv----->Main 200A panel. He has a disconnect in between meter and the 18k obviously and PV is also wired. Had a 14.5kw battery. He says this works fine, you can choose to wire it like that with zero issues. I can see why this isn't shown on youtube........i get it. But it will do Solar, then battery, then if needed to pick up the excess load it's capable of doing a complete meter to panel passthrough, correct? As in, it will pass 200A grid power right through if needed. Or anywhere from 0-200A is what im saying. Given inrush loads and night time loads.
Cause that's what i want, but if it's a mechanical switch that has to be thrown or a critical loads panel then i'm better off with the 6000xps. ANway, long question for a 1 word answer ha. Thank you very much, i'm still learning.
I am aware of "not code" but is the unit capable of this? Simple question, i'm just not finding a ton of people actually wiring it like that.

Check pages 32 through 37 of the EG4 18kpv - it has diagrams for all the situations.

You can do what you say sorta. You bring the 200amps in to pass through and it will switch to battery when grid power is out. BUT you need more than one AIO to support a 200amp load. Each AIO puts out between 50~60 amps. Enough for lights and all the small stuff in the house with leftover to spare. But if you want to run a well, AC, furnace, pool, hottub, etc you need at least two. So while the relay may be rated at 200amps reality is you can't just bring the main wiring through it.

In any case doing whole house backup using a battery bank and supplying the main panel can be done, but it will require a large investment in solar panels and batteries. Much cheaper to do a critical loads panel and either a supply-side tap or a feeder tap. With either you can add capcacity later to be able to run the whole house.

18kpv will automatically pass through power from the grid. It may or may not supplement the power depending upon your settings and status.

It could supplement from batteries if you set it that way, like peak shaving. Or it could put pv power into the batteries. Etc.

I have the 18 wired in like this:

grid - 18 - 200 Amp main panel

Based on config, mine feeds loads in this order:
Solar
Battery
Grid

During solar production, excess goes to battery, when battery full, goes to grid

When power out, 18 can support up to 50 amps of 240 loads. (12,000 watts)

I have the 18 wired in like this:

grid - 18 - 200 Amp main panel

Based on config, mine feeds loads in this order:
Solar
Battery
Grid

During solar production, excess goes to battery, when battery full, goes to grid

When power out, 18 can support up to 50 amps of 240 loads. (12,000 watts)
That's exactly what i would like to do.

Back