diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV backfeed/net metering question

Jsands

Good day,

I have a EG4 18kPV with lifepower battery pack (6 batteries). I am grid tied.

My set up is as follows:

subpanel #1 - essential/large loads - wall oven, hot tub and dryer - these ckts only get power from the grid.
subpanel #2 - "solar panel" - this panel powers most of my house and gets energized through the 18kpv.

I have grid/AC power go from subpanel 1 (grid) to the inverter to allow grid-assist when PV input and/or battery power is not sufficient.

I'm working with my local utility company to sign a net-metering contract.

When they saw my design/wring diagram they wondered "how" my excess energy was going to get back to the meter for net metering.

Am I correct that IF/WHEN my PV system makes excess power the inverter will send excess energy back through the same wire that serves as the inverter AC input from the grid? these are the wires that have my CT clamps that measure energy flow to/from grid.

am i missing something, or is my power company confused?

thank you!
jarret

Am I correct that IF/WHEN my PV system makes excess power the inverter will send excess energy back through the same wire that serves as the inverter AC input from the grid?
Yes, your system is a standard configuration. Not sure why the utility plan reviewer doesn't understand this.
these are the wires that have my CT clamps that measure energy flow to/from grid.
Depends on where the CT clamps are located with regard to what they can actually measure.
The Utility company may want the CT's attached to the incoming wires in front of the Main Panel (Subpanel #1 in your OP) In this configuration it is possible to measure true excess production, if any is left over, and not consumed by the large loads.

Yes, your system is a standard configuration. Not sure why the utility plan reviewer doesn't understand this.

Depends on where the CT clamps are located with regard to what they can actually measure.
The Utility company may want the CT's attached to the incoming wires in front of the Main Panel (Subpanel #1 in your OP) In this configuration it is possible to measure true excess production, if any is left over, and not consumed by the large loads.
thank you!

To be 100% accurate, the excess solar will go back to subpanel 1, where it will feed any loads there, before going back to grid. If those loads are all off, it will go back to grid.

Back