diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18KPV CT Clamp Location

Rigsbee

Greetings, I have installed a EG4 18Kpv and have a question about where I should install the CT clamps. I am grid tied, zero export. My home has a single power meter with two (200 amp) main disconnect panels. The EG4 inverter is feed from one of the 200 amp panels and feeds a critical load panel. The other panel feeds higher amp loads like AC/ heat pumps etc. My question is should I install the CT clamp on the 200 amp panel feeding the inverter, or should I install the CT clamp before the power meter (before both 200 amp panels) which would show all power being used by the entire household, not just the inverter. Thanks for your help.

You want them where they can measure the current on both panels, ideally right after meter before feeds to each panel split, or around both of the feeds to each panel. If you have access to the wiring, before the meter would work as well.

You want them where they can measure the current on both panels, ideally right after meter before feeds to each panel split, or around both of the feeds to each panel. If you have access to the wiring, before the meter would work as well.
I can place it either spot, my only concern was the inverter seeing the other panel and the high loads that it will not be interacting with, like the HVAC etc. Will it mess anything up on the EG4 to see the high wattage going on with the other panel?

I can place it either spot, my only concern was the inverter seeing the other panel and the high loads that it will not be interacting with, like the HVAC etc. Will it mess anything up on the EG4 to see the high wattage going on with the other panel?
It won't mess any thing up, it will let you see how power you are using from the grid in total. If you are using export limiting, or no sell back to grid, having the CTs see the total load of both panels can allow for use of solar to cover loads on both panels when there is solar to cover those loads.

It won't mess any thing up, it will let you see how power you are using from the grid in total. If you are using export limiting, or no sell back to grid, having the CTs see the total load of both panels can allow for use of solar to cover loads on both panels when there is solar to cover those loads.
Thank you!

Back