diy solar

diy solar

CT clamp

Cook

Hi

I have a solar setup using a FoxESS 3600 inverter which is working fine but the FoxESS cloud data shows that all power generated is going to the grid - which isn’t correct.

I’ve been told that I will need to fit a CT clamp to get data on Load.

Whilst the CT clamp is only a few pounds to buy, and where to fit it seems to be quite straightforward, my problem is that the inverter is a very long distance from the meter (across the garden).

Does the clamp need to be hard wired or is there a wireless solution? Does the clamp need to be a Fox item? If there is a wireless clamp, how would that integrate with the FoxESS cloud data?

CT's are like current shunts in that they are available in a variety of mA or mV ratings. Most instruments or devices that have a CT input are designed for a specific type of CT with the correct number of turns to produce the requisite signal from the AC wiring that needs to be monitored.

The Inverter manual should specify the part number or type of CT needed. Unfortunately, its not likely you would find a wireless solution it would be a bit complicated to convert a CT reading to WiFi and then recreate the same at the other end.

Hi

I have a solar setup using a FoxESS 3600 inverter which is working fine but the FoxESS cloud data shows that all power generated is going to the grid - which isn’t correct.

I’ve been told that I will need to fit a CT clamp to get data on Load.

Whilst the CT clamp is only a few pounds to buy, and where to fit it seems to be quite straightforward, my problem is that the inverter is a very long distance from the meter (across the garden).

Does the clamp need to be hard wired or is there a wireless solution? Does the clamp need to be a Fox item? If there is a wireless clamp, how would that integrate with the FoxESS cloud data?
Check the manual, but the CT will almost certainly need to be hard-wired to the meter or main panel. Many inverters allow 100M (ethernet cable) extension so if you can run the wire you should be all set.

Another thought: Does the inverter need to be the thing measuring grid-net or can you use another device wired to the meter or main panel?

To determine power flow level and direction, the inverter needs AC voltage and AC current magnitude and phase relative to AC voltage phase. A wireless CT data transfer would likely introduce a time delay which can screw up the AC phase relationship.

To determine power flow level and direction, the inverter needs AC voltage and AC current magnitude and phase relative to AC voltage phase. A wireless CT data transfer would likely introduce a time delay which can screw up the AC phase relationship.
Many thanks. I am grateful for your advice.

Check the manual, but the CT will almost certainly need to be hard-wired to the meter or main panel. Many inverters allow 100M (ethernet cable) extension so if you can run the wire you should be all set.

Another thought: Does the inverter need to be the thing measuring grid-net or can you use another device wired to the meter or main panel?
Thank you. I will buy the clamp from Fox to be sure that it is appropriate.

CT's are like current shunts in that they are available in a variety of mA or mV ratings. Most instruments or devices that have a CT input are designed for a specific type of CT with the correct number of turns to produce the requisite signal from the AC wiring that needs to be monitored.

The Inverter manual should specify the part number or type of CT needed. Unfortunately, its not likely you would find a wireless solution it would be a bit complicated to convert a CT reading to WiFi and then recreate the same at the other end.
Many thanks Solar Wizard, I will contact Fox to get the correct clamp. The run between the inverter and the meter is around 50m and so I’ll also buy a reel of Cat 6 exterior grade network cable.

Back