diy solar

diy solar

Breaker switch tripping?

New Member1

On the videos 200W and 400W for beginners, Will uses either 100A fuse or 170A breaker switch from the battery to Inverter. Question: In what scenario would the fuse or switch be tripped? I have already accidentally reversed the connects and blow four 35A fuses. However, the Inverter was not harm in any way after replacing the 4 fuses. How necessary is a 100 to 200 Amp breaker switch?

Please bear with me as I am a rookie and was dropped on my head as a child. Attached image is my first rookie system.
1. I got fished in buying an eBay China 300W flexible solar panel scam (they sent me a 100W in hopes I was an idiot (correct) and couldn't postage return. After complaining, I got it for $70 (which is most likely still a profit to the China man).
2. I now intend to buy a 280W Canadian made glass framed REPO solar panel @ .60 per watt.
3. I cheaped out and bought a 1200/2400 Inverter with built in 20A controller - $70
4. I just got a 200A switch (Walmart) from China that was broken in a million pieces. Walmart refunded, however, I believe Will thinks we are made of money (just buy another switch if it trips). Hense, the original question.

So what am I missing or is the illustration of my system correct?
Sincerely, an idiot at this point.

Attachments

• MySolarPanel2.png
    MySolarPanel2.png
    422.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
breaker switch from the battery to Inverter
This is a key safety component. It is sized based on the load the inverter is expected to draw. Assuming your 1200w inverter is 12v, that would be 100amps. Your breaker (or fuse) should be 125% of this. 150amp breaker/fuse is the next common size up so that is what i recommend.

When it comes to safety devices like breakers/fuses, if you are going to bother using them at all, you should use a good one.
Folks like the Bussmann breakers (careful, there are a lot of look alike models).

Please bear with me as I am a rookie and was dropped on my head as a child. Attached image is my first rookie system.
1. I got fished in buying an eBay China 300W flexible solar panel scam (they send me a 100W in hopes I was an idiot (correct) and couldn't postage return. After complaining, I got it for $70 (which is most likely still a profit to the China man).
2. I now intend to buy a 280W Canadian made glass framed REPO solar panel @ .60 per watt.
3. I cheaped out and bought a 1200/2400 Inverter with built in 20A controller - $70
4. I just got a 200A switch (Walmart) from China that was broken in a million pieces. Walmart refunded, however, I believe Will thinks we are made of money (just buy another switch if it trips). Hense, the original question.

So what am I missing or is the illustration of my system correct?
Sincerely, an idiot at this point.
I'm using a 125a fuse for my 1200w inverter with a now 2AWG wire here. I made this chart it might help you, I'm a novice too bear that in mind.

diy solar

diy solar
Back