diy solar

diy solar

Busbar amp rating for parallel battery nk

Berryman

Hi,

I've got 6 x Enersys 170ah AGM that I want to connect in parallel via bus bars. I can't figure out what amp rating the busbars and cables will need to be to handle the load. Is it:
A) +170 amps
B) 6 x 170 = 1020amps
C) half (A) = +85amps
D) half (B) = +510amps
E) something else???

I am planning to connect each terminal to a bus bar via fussed cable, all negatives on one busbar, all positives on another, and then a cable from each busbar (+/-) into the appropriate connector (+/-) on the controller. My thinking is this will allow for a well balanced setup but i incisor need to know it is safe and that the conducting media is spec'd right. Apologies if this is a dumb question, and thanks in advance for any support.

Cheers

You should try to determine what your maximum load will be.
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. So, rather than what the max load the battery bank can supply at any one time, I should add up the max load (drawn by all devices using the system, e.g. lights, fridge, heater, etc) at any one time? Again, sorry if I'm asking a stupid question.

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. So, rather than what the max load the battery bank can supply at any one time, I should add up the max load (drawn by all devices using the system, e.g. lights, fridge, heater, etc) at any one time? Again, sorry if I'm asking a stupid question.
Yes, that would be where I would start. Alternatively, you could just build the system to handle the max output of the battery bank but that might not be needed if your loads are smaller. You should always factor in some headroom.

Hi,

For reference, i have six of these:

Back