diy solar

diy solar

Calb 180Ah Grade D (LOL) needed

CapnGil

Hello All, due to age and inproper use I find myself looking for 4 to 8 Calb 180 AH's that have a lower capacity bewteen 140 to 145Ah's to make up for a few cells that fall way to low for use. Please advise if you have such cell's. Who woulld of know that those older weaker Calb's you have under that cabinet would be useful to someone... smile, well they now are. Please advise as to what you have available and if the price is right you could rid yourself and buy a beer or two.... smile.

be well
Gil

PS. If anyone has a quick safe way to decrease Ah's of a cell by 10 let me know, I have two that are hovering above the rest and lowering those from 155 to 145 would help balance out the bank..... ROFLOL

Attachments

• lithium install 80%.jpg
    lithium install 80%.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 12
Understood, but doesn't that limit how the BMS monitors the Bank? As it was, I had them at .1 variance to help extend life. I use the 200a 24v Daly's and I bought 5 NEEEEEEEEEEY zsmart Active Balancers, but got screw by Aliexpress when Seller sent old or clone units.

Thanks for input

Understood, but doesn't that limit how the BMS monitors the Bank? As it was, I had them at .1 variance to help extend life. I use the 200a 24v Daly's and I bought 5 NEEEEEEEEEEY zsmart Active Balancers, but got screw by Aliexpress when Seller sent old or clone units.

No.

Active balancers need to be used correctly, or they can actually screw things up, and they really have to be configured correctly.

If you have capacity values for all cells, you can optimize by shuffling cells between batteries within the bank. I'm assuming you have 5 8S batteries in parallel.

Sort the cell capacities from high to low.

Battery 1 is cells 1-8
Battery 2 is cells 9-16
etc.

Hopefully, the cells in each 8S battery will be close.

No.

Active balancers need to be used correctly, or they can actually screw things up, and they really have to be configured correctly.

If you have capacity values for all cells, you can optimize by shuffling cells between batteries within the bank. I'm assuming you have 5 8S batteries in parallel.

Sort the cell capacities from high to low.

Battery 1 is cells 1-8
Battery 2 is cells 9-16
etc.

Hopefully, the cells in each 8S battery will be close.
correct, would not use (if they work) active balancers 24/7, just through my control as I need to balance

I'd prefer to have the 5 banks within 10Ahs so I could keep all five on and not through or over use the lower bank which my understanding would occur

Are those of each 8S battery or of actual cells.

if you have 4-8 cells that are marginal, might as well just replace all 8 with new cells. Then you have one new battery in parallel with 4 8S batteries.
I have 40 Calb 180AH cells configured in 8S5P

I'd prefer to have the 5 banks within 10Ahs so I could keep all five on and not through or over use the lower bank which my understanding would occur

I'll be honest, but that's completely arbitrary and self-defeating. It's literally the opposite of what's important.

infinitely more important that all SERIES elements be as close as possible.

EDIT: And of all batteries in parallel, the strongest and highest capacity will generally share more of the load than the older/weaker/lower capacity.

I'll be honest, but that's completely arbitrary and self-defeating. It's literally the opposite of what's important.

infinitely more important that all SERIES elements be as close as possible.
correct which is why I'm looking for a few cells in the 145Ah range to replace the 90Ah ones

if I mix these in with the lot there is up to 30Ah with a cells within a few banks

taking them out I have 4 good banks within 3 to 8 amp varation between the cells in each bank. Thats my plan for now, use 4 banks until I find a few OLD cells to incorporate into that last bank

By the way I have two that test in the 160AH range. I was wondering whats a fast means to decrease these to better match m,y other cells.... Without cycling them a Gabillion times ove a thousand years with my 3.5v cell charger..... lol

By the way I have two that test in the 160AH range. I was wondering whats a fast means to decrease these to better match m,y other cells.... Without cycling them a Gabillion times ove a thousand years with my 3.5v cell charger..... lol

Do you routinely knife your own tires? I mean, you're basically asking how to ruin cells.

If you understand the implications, top balance and don't beat the living shit out of the batteries, there is zero issue with putting a 160 in with a 145-ish. The less of your total capacity you use on a daily basis, the better it works.

I suspect this is a "my mind is already made up issue," but your chances of success are low. What if you find perfect capacity matches, but they were abused in different ways, and their IR is 2X as much, or they have dramatically different self-discharge rates? Capacity isn't the only thing that matters. You're more screwed than you are with new.

Procuring new cells is your fastest and best option.

Do you routinely knife your own tires? I mean, you're basically asking how to ruin cells.

If you understand the implications, top balance and don't beat the living shit out of the batteries, there is zero issue with putting a 160 in with a 145-ish. The less of your total capacity you use on a daily basis, the better it works.

I suspect this is a "my mind is already made up issue," but your chances of success are low. What if you find perfect capacity matches, but they were abused in different ways, and their IR is 2X as much, or they have dramatically different self-discharge rates? Capacity isn't the only thing that matters. You're more screwed than you are with new.

Procuring new cells is your fastest and best option.
I appreciate the confidence you write with, it gives me (an Ignorant not Stupid man) confidence on how to proceed. That said and according to your statements I will use maintain the four banks with the best matched cells (has to better) and the fifth I will use the 90AH with the other 7 cells including the 160Ah.

I'm gonna have to step out on a limb here and say that in doing so with that last bank, it will require me to removing or increase the BMS variation setting as it will soon shut down that bank; yes I will top balance them to 3.65 before letting them carry any loads.

thanks for good strong feedback .... smile

Side note: I have tested all cells for IR and the difference is between .380 to .650 ohms

Back