diy solar

diy solar

Can an inverter be damaged by a BMS shutdown?

Aphers

My previous inverter appears to have died. In discussing with the supplier, they suggested that an abrupt loss of power after BMS cut off might have been a factor. Not that I recall this happening but it's obviously possible in certain circumstances.

Surely an inverter should survive this though? You can lose power for all sorts of reasons, e.g. main fuse blows, or someone accidentally turns the isolator switch.

If I spend more money on the replacement inverter (inevitably, I'm now considering Victron) will it be more able to withstand sudden loss of power?

If your inverter can be damaged by loss of input power, you need a different brand inverter.
If it didn't damage the inverter and your manufacturer is worming out of warranty obligation....you need a different brand inverter.

In fairness, they're not trying to worm out of anything, but I'm thinking I should ask for a refund instead of a replacement, and try a different brand.

BMS shutdown should not have caused a an inverter to die. A possible direct short might.

BMS does not damage inverter,because the inverter has low voltage and high voltage protection
When the BMS working, the battery will stop output,and inverter will stop working ,now you'd better disconnect the charger from the solar panel,and when battery voltage back to normal,then you can use inverter again.

Back