diy solar

diy solar

Can I get 3 of the EG4 indoor wallmount batts

opticalcarrier

I have a Solark12k and want to add 3 of the EG4 battery systems that Will showed HERE to install on the floor under my inverter thats on the wall in the garage. If I keep each unit 12in from everything else, is 3 of these batts OK for code?

His link though goes to the wallmount version. I guess they have feet included if you want to put them on the floor?

Anyways, seems from reading the EG4 docs that these units already work with the Solark closed-loop communications protocol? If I want to parallel 3 of these to my Solark12K then this is all I need, right?

1721254440042.png

Besides that, any suggestions before I pull the trigger here?

If I keep each unit 12in from everything else, is 3 of these batts OK for code?
Depends on your AHJ:
- 12” is allowed only if the instructions associated with the NRTL listing allows it, otherwise separation is 36”
- EG4 is not a UL9540 battery partner with SolArk. The vast majority of UL9540 listings is based on the combination of an inverter and battery
- Legalistically, if you aren’t using a UL9540 approved combination, can you turn around and use 12” separation? 🤷

Did you ask your AHJ yet?

Depends on your AHJ:
- 12” is allowed only if the instructions associated with the NRTL listing allows it, otherwise separation is 36”
- EG4 is not a UL9540 battery partner with SolArk. The vast majority of UL9540 listings is based on the combination of an inverter and battery
- Legalistically, if you aren’t using a UL9540 approved combination, can you turn around and use 12” separation? 🤷

Did you ask your AHJ yet?
OK good info, thanks much.

I've looked all through their paralleling guide, it doesnt mention NRTL anything, it only specifies 7in min if the AHJ allows it. Where can I go to find out about its NRTL listing information? Is that something EG4 should provide, or is that info available from the AHJ? If its something from the AHJ, then I'm now waiting on my electrician to call me back and I guess Ill get it from him.

Besides that though, their install and paralleling guides only depict connections to their EG4 inverters, which seem to have multiple batt inputs. My Solark only has 1 batt connection.

Can anyone comment on the correct connections here for a Solark? Should I just connect the inverter to the center-most battery, then connect each batt on either side of the center battery to that center battery (with no connections from the end batts to each other)? I ask that as the docs show the case of using an EG4 inverter with its multiple batt connections having the inverter connect to all 3 batts, and all 3 batts connected to each other with some of the power cables.

I've looked all through their paralleling guide, it doesnt mention NRTL anything, it only specifies 7in min if the AHJ allows it. Where can I go to find out about its NRTL listing information? Is that something EG4 should provide, or is that info available from the AHJ? If its something from the AHJ, then I'm now waiting on my electrician to call me back and I guess Ill get it from him.

I don't know if my interpretation is correct either

R328.3.1 Spacing. Individual units shall be separated from each other by not less than 3 feet (914 mm)except where smaller separation distances are documented to be adequate based on large-scalefire testing complying with Section 1207.1.5 of the California Fire Code.

The certificate is posted, the test report may be more useful.

Besides that though, their install and paralleling guides only depict connections to their EG4 inverters, which seem to have multiple batt inputs. My Solark only has 1 batt connection.
Random factoids about multiple inputs:
  • i don't think there's anything special about those battery inputs
  • the 2x inputs mitigate the fact that the connectors the PowerPro uses are individually rather current limited in size.
  • the 2x inputs are equivalent to a busbar accepting those smaller size inputs
  • you probably need a busbar or polaris splice to provide a functional equivalent setup for the SolArk. a polaris splice accepting 2 of the smaller conductors coming from the batteries, and 1 large conductor going to the solark, will be equivalent.

Should I just connect the inverter to the center-most battery, then connect each batt on either side of the center battery to that center battery (with no connections from the end batts to each other)?
Yes.
I think the battery spacing is listed as 8" for the indoor PP
The Solark can communicate with the PP batteries but Solark have not tested or approve of it.

I have a Solark12k and want to add 3 of the EG4 battery systems that Will showed HERE to install on the floor under my inverter thats on the wall in the garage. If I keep each unit 12in from everything else, is 3 of these batts OK for code?
As mentioned above, yes you can use the PowerPro batteries with the SolArk inverters and also have closed-loop communication.
His link though goes to the wallmount version. I guess they have feet included if you want to put them on the floor?
Yes, they do come with legs as shown in the images below.

Attachments

• PowerPro Batteries Legs.jpg
    PowerPro Batteries Legs.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 2
  • PowerPro Batteries.jpg
    PowerPro Batteries.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2
As mentioned above, yes you can use the PowerPro batteries with the SolArk inverters and also have closed-loop communication.

Yes, they do come with legs as shown in the images below.
ok thanks! Ive just placed an order! Can you please get me the lithium batt settings needed on the solark inverter? And I should use the Solark CAN port not 485?

Also, I see from the docs that its not possible to have closed loop comms with the inverter at the same time as having connectivity with a PC or other device. Is this true?

Either way, can you please tell me what all closed loops comms data and stats from all my 3 batteries would be available on the solark panel screens, and by extension, on Solark's new https://www.mysolark.com/ portal that my Solark's wifi dongle reports stats too?

I'd also be interested in knowing that if I did use my own home server for solark data/stats reporting instead of Solarks MySolark portal, would I be able to get even more data that way?

ok thanks! Ive just placed an order! Can you please get me the lithium batt settings needed on the solark inverter? And I should use the Solark CAN port not 485?
You would use CAN port.

Any settings or configurations for the EG4 indoor battery would be in the documentation section on our website.

Also, I see from the docs that its not possible to have closed loop comms with the inverter at the same time as having connectivity with a PC or other device. Is this true?
That is correct. The battery cannot communicate with BMS Tools (on PC) and a closed loop inverter at the same time.
Either way, can you please tell me what all closed loops comms data and stats from all my 3 batteries would be available on the solark panel screens, and by extension, on Solark's new https://www.mysolark.com/ portal that my Solark's wifi dongle reports stats too?
This would have to be in the SolArk manual.
I'd also be interested in knowing that if I did use my own home server for solark data/stats reporting instead of Solarks MySolark portal, would I be able to get even more data that way?
I believe it would be the same data, but I am not certain. Unfortunately, I don't have much information on SolArk.

@EG4TechSolutionsTeam
This would have to be in the SolArk manual.

The solark manual says you set the lithium batt settings in the inverter based on the vendors lithium batt system type. There are 3 settings that would be custom based on the batt vendor:

BMS Lithium Batt Mode (from 0-20)
Batt Resistance (in milliohms)
BattCharging Efficiency (in %)

Its a pity that modbus isnt supported though, Solark manual shows that if MODBUS is used instead of CAN, then you get tons more info from the batt system, including each unit! See:
1721424173141.png

diy solar

diy solar
Back